Thursday, September 10, 2015

Crowd Work At The University

   I got stage time tonight at an unusual comedy venue, definitely not a comedy club but a room inside an academic building at the U. of Minnesota. The event coordinator, Belarus, had recently shared a story on Facebook about being run out of a lecture hall for impersonating a college professor. It bothered me a little that we spoke before a show this week and he asked me about my profs. I had no idea what his plans were but I don't think this qualifies as aiding and abetting. This was a crowd work show and I am comfortable with doing these shows now. As the saying goes, experience pays. But it was still a weird show, one comic used two mics to interview people and we were asked to go up front and were crowded around like we were about to do a group picture but didn't. Then there was the comic who got into character- and costume- playing Kim Davis, the county clerk who went to jail defying the Supreme Court order which legalized gay marriage. I helped with cleaning up, as there was food brought in and this meant some trash was created. I didn't have much, I had already eaten dinner, the Super-America special on the way to the venue, a tuna fish (wedge) sandwich. All I had from the choices was the Lorna Doone cookies.
   I liked getting a free sandwich and chips at midday at my office job, it was from Erbert Gerbert. I got the comet candy, which is a ham and roast beef. I think it would be called employee appreciation, and I like how this is not the first time this has been done for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment