Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Local Joint, Northfield

     I went to the Jesse James festival in Northfield and arrived just before the final bank robbery re-enactment, which began about 12:30pm. I liked finding a store called The Local Joint, it had vintage and handmade items. What drew me into it was seeing a sign that spoke of a Theodore Roosevelt impersonator, but it was just for Saturday. I got a postcard there, caption was 'Dark underbelly of Minnesota'. It was meant to be Paul Bunyan and Babe the blue ox. I spoke with the young lady at the counter for a few minutes, and found out she is an Iowa native like me, from Waterloo. She attended one of the colleges in this town. I also got two postcards from the historical society. One has a cow on it and the caption reads 'Cows colleges and contentment', the motto of the town. The other is a vintage image of people ready to board a train, and says off to World War One. I stopped at the Cracker Barrel in Lakeville on the way home but didn't buy anything. I had just over a dollar left in my wallet by then and didn't want to use my debit card. There was nothing I really wanted there
anyway. When I got home I slept for a while, about two hours.
     I got two Canadian pennies in my change from this visit, two years I didn't have yet- 1991 and 1997. I now have 34 in the collector folder, just 2 slots left to fill. Hard to say what I will do when I fill it, if it means I decide that my collection is complete. I know I did toss many of these pennies in a fountain at the Detroit airport over 4 years ago. But after Canada stopped making the penny I became more interested in collecting them, even buying some older ones on E-bay. Now I have 41, and another is on the way. Seven of them did not fit in the folder, older ones that were too big for the slots. Oldest one in the folder is from 1940.          

No comments:

Post a Comment