Saturday, May 20, 2017

a quiet passion movie

tonight I went to see a movie at the lagoon in Minneapolis, 'a quiet passion', about Emily Dickinson, the writer. since I also enjoy writing, I liked this movie. I am used to bio-pics being 'based on actual events' and 'some scenes and characters were invented for dramatic effect' and as usual, I guessed some of the scenes that likely fit this description. this was a comedy, and a drama, at the same time. I liked the discussions they had in it, usually philosophical. the arguments stayed civil, and even when they argued it sounded dignified. I have to allow for the fact that this would be considered a 'period piece' since she was from the 19th century. so it was decidedly a different time period. they did cover some of the news stories of the time, such as the firing on fort sumter that was the start of the civil war. it made me cringe when they showed Emily in pain. I liked how she spoke of being stoic.
   it was a big day for errand running. this meant going to the PO box, an amazon order was waiting, a book. then the ATM at a holiday gas station, where I bought a hash brown and some food items from the discount table. on to use some of my gift cards in Roseville. first stop was the Kohl's, I had 8 dollars left on a gift card there. I got a Christmas- themed Charlie brown tie, 90 percent off, and some socks. then it was JC Penney, more clothing there. actually it was a '20 percent off' barcode to scan. I printed some things at the library, then went to Target and got a portable CD player. had to ask for one, it was stored in the back. final stop was cheapo records, got two CDs. one was 'superunknown' by soundgarden, and the other was the 'good will hunting' movie soundtrack, my favorite movie. I listened to some of these in my car, but also once I got home. but I was so tired from the errand running that I fell asleep while listening to one of them.
   in the evening I ate at popeye's chicken, then there was the adventure that was getting ice cream. first stop was dairy queen, but then I told myself I already had dairy queen this week. then it was a mcdonald's, but just one register was open and it was taking too long. so I told myself there was another one not far away, and went there. no problem getting served right away. I had a ticket for the saints baseball game tonight but it was rained out. I am still wearing my saints hat and jersey, the one that says 'st. paul', as I didn't want to change outfits. I already have plans for the rain check, as I want to go on memorial day weekend, just a week away.

No comments:

Post a Comment