Monday, May 22, 2017

still rock and roll to me, billy joel

tonight I went and did some karaoke, and chose 'still rock and roll to me' by billy joel. this was a song that I wanted to do before, but was told that somebody had already done it that night so I decided to do a different song then. I really enjoyed this one, especially the line 'the new fashion honey, all you need are looks and a whole lot of money'. when I know this isn't a new fashion at all. it was 2 for 1 beers, I had a grain belt. I had to ask at first why I got two as I had been there before. the bartender informed me it was a special that is in effect for one hour, and I must not have been at this bar during that hour before. with other performers the notables were 'baby got back' by sir mix a lot, and one called 'crippled inside'. I hadn't heard the latter before, and the former had two people onstage though one of them kept singing the wrong words, or at least out of order.
   I went there after going to the comedy club, much like on Friday, in hopes of stage time, but it was not to be. I still watched the opening acts, and left shortly after the headliner went on as I said I needed to get stage time somewhere. it was a valuable lesson about performing, as it might have been approved by the headliner but not the club manager. you live, you learn.
   this was a fairly busy day for me. I went to the first game of the twins-royals doubleheader. I was planning on attending just one game, and it became two due to Saturday's rainout. this was the iowa alumni outing, and I met my fellow alums at a bar called darby's near the stadium for food before the game, and to get my ticket. the royals were aided by the long ball, going up 5-0. there was two 2-run home runs, and a solo shot, to stake them to this lead. the twins got as close as 5-4. the royals tacked on an insurance run, and that became the final score, 6-4. due to the weather, I said one game was enough, along with my schedule of wanting to get other things done today. it was chilly and had rained some earlier today. I found out the twins won the second game. I was not alone on leaving before the second game began, as it appeared most people did. still want to check online for the box score to see the attendance figure, my guess was no more than half full, 20,000 or less.



No comments:

Post a Comment