Saturday, May 13, 2017

citizen jane movie

tonight I went to see the movie 'citizen jane' at the lagoon theater in Minneapolis. it was a documentary about jane Jacobs, a writer that became an activist against urban renewal projects. I was not familiar with her, but I liked seeing this movie. I am pleased that they covered more than just new York city, as there is more to America than just our largest city. Midwestern cities such as Chicago, st. louis, and Detroit are mentioned as well. she was taking on Robert moses in her activism. I wondered why no mention was made of fred trump, the president's father. he was a real estate developer at this point and time, the 1960s, though in a different part of the city- not manhattan. I picked up a card at the theater advertising the movie, stating it premiered on april 21 in new York and would be in additional select cities starting on may 5.
   I got plenty done today, besides seeing the movie. I picked up three orders at the post office, my weekly visit there. I printed some things at the library, had to skip last week when I was out of state. as usual, I try to make my time count there. I went to an audition for a fringe show in the early afternoon. then it was on to see a play in Plymouth, part of the 'church basement ladies' series. this one is called 'rise up, o men'. it was scheduled to end in early april, but was extended through may 21 which gave me more time to get there. I was seated near some members of he 'red hat society'. I arrived about an hour before showtime and I bought a ticket then, with cash, as I saw too many problems from ordering online, my card was compromised before. it was funny like the other ones I have seen in the series. I think I have now seen 5 of the six, all but 'second helping'. at times the slapstick comedy was 'overdoing it' for effect, however. I went home for a short time after the play and then it was off to the movie. I went to eat at the arby's in uptown Minneapolis after the movie, a place near the lagoon theater. I had to take a photo of the self-serve soda fountain, hadn't seen that kind too often. having to press buttons for your selections, only one spigot. looks like there will be plenty on my list to do for sunday as well, though grocery shopping isn't one of them as I went to the store after the 10pm news tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment