Sunday, August 27, 2017

big ten softball tournament

I made my first visit to the big ten softball tournament. the email invite said it was the 28th annual, held at mendakota park in Mendota heights. my school, the iowa hawkeyes, played four games but I just saw the two in the afternoon. there were things I wanted to do at home first, such as shred junk mail. I also wanted to get a sandwich for lunch, and a photo album from Walmart. the iowa alums lost to Wisconsin but beat ohio state. I was getting bored with listening to the ohio state pitcher, he kept trash talking. iowa trailed 11-6 entering the final inning, the 6th, but iowa won 18-11. the pitcher didn't like the 'walk rule' for co-ed softball, to ward off intentional walks. this helped iowa pull ahead in the final inning. he got disgusted and left, so they needed a new pitcher. the game was called due to rain. it started raining even harder after that, while the apparent championship game was being played. iowa did not play in it, as they won just one of four games. iowa had won this tournament 4 times before, according to the trophy on display, most recently in 2015. I was given a poster as the team was leaving, it had football schedules for all big ten teams on it. I was asked to take a team photo, and I said 'you know my name' and it was somebody who had recognized me at some alumni events in the area.
   I didn't do much in the evening, watching two 'simpsons' reruns and doing the dishes. hadn't watched it much lately. one was about spider pig, the other about lisa and a hat named sunny. there was plenty on the news about hurricane Harvey, causing flooding in texas. I have a writer friend that lives in Houston, and she posted on facebook that she is fine. it looked like it was on a special page. I said the news coverage reminded me of hurricane katrina in new Orleans in 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment