Saturday, August 5, 2017

collecting wooden nickels

this was my day of working as a volunteer at fringe festival. it was 3 shifts, all I needed to get a day pass that I intend to use for sunday shows. there was a 'counterfeit' wooden nickel at the first one, but I was not the only line of defense as an usher. I collect them when it is time to admit people for seating to the show. I took it seriously, though I found out it was rather simple. only one of them had a program to pass out, so it was mainly counting how many attendees. I checked for trash before the show began, but there wasn't much. mostly show announcement cards, and a few programs. there was one plastic bottle, I dumped out the contents, not much left, and dropped it in the recycle bin. cleanup is no problem for me when I had those jobs when I was in school. I liked hearing the story of a young lady who was first in line at my second shift. I did it at two different venues. I went home after the first shift as there was a 3-hour gap and eventually I fell asleep. I made it on time to shift #2. after my final shift I drove home and went to the grocery store. then it was on to a comedy show, small world is MC there. I knew many of the performers, including the lunch lady.
   the other event was a return visit to Canadian days in little Canada. I went there this morning for the pancakes and the bagpipe band. I was in line for pancakes as the band arrived for a 30-minute set. I don't think I heard them play 'Scotland the brave' this time though. I stayed after this for the car show, plenty of cars there. I got photos of some of them, especially those from the 1930s. then I picked up an amazon order at the post office, a Sia CD, 'some people have real problems'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment