Monday, August 7, 2017

it can't happen here, sinclair lewis

this was my day for seeing fringe shows. I went to five, and the first four were close to each other, at rarig or the mixed blood theaters. the fifth was at the Ritz in northeast Minneapolis. I saw 'it can't happen here' at the ritz, based on a Sinclair lewis novel. I was more familiar with some of his other books. I was intrigued how it was part of the federal theater project in the 1930s, a depression-era work relief program. it was a benefit for the ACLU. I saw some characters as being more than likely inspired by some real people. Louisiana politician huey long was from this time and was assassinated in 1935, so I saw some of huey in the main character. it was no big deal getting there, as I allowed myself plenty of drive time.
    the other four shows I saw were couple fight, spec (three by three doing a one-man show), America the rewrite (disappointing), and Pinocchio. also got a free CD from one of the venues. couple fight had a performer in it I had seen do women's history shows before, and our paths keep crossing. we likely know some of the same people. spec had some stories in it that I really liked, including one about pressing buttons in the cemetery, and the funny robot. America the rewrite was supposed to be about writing history but this wasn't covered much, and lasted just 30 minutes. probably the worst fringe show I have seen, and I saw my first fringe show in 2012- candide. I was in a relationship then. Pinocchio was done by whopper and his troupe, which includes the david spade look-alike. the two of them work well together. I liked how it was more than just a 'retelling' of the familiar story, but more of an 'update' of it with social commentary such as asking why one has to be good. I left reviews on the site for all five shows, as this is requested for the shows that one sees. with 'couple fight' it was requested that we say who won the fights, but I believe that no one really 'wins' a couple fight. I am thankful, however, that I haven't been in some of those fights depicted, like the hyperventilating, hysterical one about jar pies. unsure if this was exaggerated for dramatic effect, I know this disclaimer has been in shows before, at least some 'based on a true story' movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment