Friday, September 29, 2017

2 rice meals

there was plenty of food at the office at midday, so I didn't need to heat up the can of soup I brought. there was a last-day potluck for a colleague, so there was the first part of it. this was fried rice I chose, much like what is found at a Chinese restaurant. the second part was in the main breakroom, as there was a presentation of west African culture. two types of rice at the second event, one was kind of spicy and the other buttery. but it was all good. we are nearing the end, as this was the final day that I did the payoff report. others came into the vault to box up the files, and it was largely done by the end of the day. I did my best to stay out of their way, and pull documents I needed earlier. the not founds could be done later on, they usually are going to stay that way. my work spouse said we aren't doing the payoff report on Friday as the truck arrives to send it all to florida in the morning, so no time for it. I said it was a good thing that I stayed busy for a while, so then I had an excuse not to help out with this project. I try to avoid emotional things, and packing up my line of work would be an emotional thing. I knew this day was coming, but it still the least bit tough to know that the end is near for my current role. but now I have more time to start writing the 'next chapter' of my life, meaning, find my next job, next role.
   I am also thankful I made it to the karaoke bar, albeit later in the evening than typical. I fell asleep while watching the football game, bears-packers, and I don't see the bear that much so I wanted to see some of it. easier to watch it at home, too loud at a bar. bears didn't fare well though. there was a weather delay near the end of the first quarter, lightning in the area. I think this is about the time that I fell asleep. I saw some of it at the bar, but the bears were way behind by then. they fell behind early, 14-0. anyway, one I arrived I did one song, 'punk rock girl' by the dead milkmen. I was thinking about it as it was part of a facebook posting a day earlier. and it was on my list of 'karaoke ideas', had been for a little while. also liked hearing a lady do 'take a bow'. had to look it up, I know there is more than one song with this title. it was Rihanna's that I heard. I knew there was one by Madonna too, but the lyric search said rihanna. the songs seem to have a similar theme, about a woman saying 'show is over' to her man since she feels disrespected by her man.
   it meant something to be at the karaoke venue tonight, as I knew it was the final night for larry the harmonica guy, as he is going to Arizona for the winter and will be back in may. although I made it after he was done performing. but still great to see him. he offered me some of his licorice, pretty good. some others, including the barmaid, were also wanting to say goodbye so it is proof that he is well-liked. it is more evidence of how performing has changed me. I have enjoyed all of those that I have met, my circle of friends. and because of the emotional attachment, it means more to me when they leave. although I am reminded of my class motto when I graduated from high school, as the final line was 'goodbye is not forever'. or at least it doesn't have to be. was this why I got another one of those 'how right I was' feelings tonight while at the bar? probably. I haven't been keeping track of it as much as I was, since I seem to have them so much more often now. because I am out doing things and enjoying life way more than I was. these feelings might also be known as a 'self-validating moment'. the first time I recall getting one? after I had left iowa for suburban Chicago. maybe not right away, but once I felt comfortable enough there. and yes, when I was out doing something. no fun to stay home all the time. I let the button know about larry, as she helped me find this karaoke venue and I wanted to let her know I am thankful for the stage time I get and finding another performing outlet besides just doing stand-up.

1 comment: