Saturday, September 23, 2017

corndogs, popcorn, and my jokes

this afternoon I did one thing I never expected would happen. at my employer's office party, I did 5 minutes of stand-up comedy. there was plenty of food there, I a little bit of everything. there was corndogs, popcorn, pretzels, cookies wrapped individually in plastic, and sliced apples. you could have caramel with the apples as well. but when I think of 'caramel apples' I think of apples that aren't cut up. I said I needed an MC to introduce me, so people knew what was happening. so the DJ did this. I know one colleague wanted to see me perform, it sounded like she was coming back after a conference call- or at least finding out when it was- but she didn't. so I had to go on without her in the crowd. I was told to avoid swearing, as well as any jokes about the company. wasn't that hard to do. if you asked my friends to do those things, I know full well that most couldn't. I did ones about both parents, and about seeing the movie 'the newton boys'. as well as one about doing a johnny cash song on karaoke night. the MC intro sounded like it was from the movie 'blues brothers'. the site leader wondered why I didn't do anything about internet dating, I said I was told to keep it clean. he had seen me do comedy before, at a contest. and I know that he likes comedy, as I spotted him at a lewis black show I attended in 2007, before I started doing stand-up. I liked the recognition I received, as many found me after I was done and said they enjoyed it. hopefully I get something for the performance, I asked for gift card points. some of these people had been invited t my shows but most didn't show up, having excuses such as 'I have a class' or 'can't find a babysitter'. so in some ways it was a good idea that I brought the show to them.
    I found my way to the karaoke bar in the evening, and did 3 songs. the first was 'staring at the sun' by the offspring. so I was pleased that it was available, as I had just discovered the song. it went fast, but I kept up fairly well. the other two were 'bonnie and clyde' by merle haggard, and 'mr. know it all' by Kelly Clarkson. the harmonica guy was there, did one that was a bob seger song but was written by chuck berry. he said he would be going to Arizona for the winter soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment