Sunday, September 24, 2017

always on my mind, willie nelson

I did some karaoke in the evening, after going to an iowa hawkeye football game watch. I did two songs, first was 'when the levee breaks' by led zeppelin, and the second was 'always on my mind' by willie nelson. I was amazed with what I found out about this song on Wikipedia. willie nelson didn't record it first, but his version is likely the best known as it was a grammy winner in 1982. the first was by Brenda lee in 1972. some of the later versions fared better, reaching the top 20. this included elvis Presley that same year, pet shop boys in 1987, and Loretta lynn in 2016. I was familiar with the pet shop boys version as well. I said I did it as it reminded me of some of my failed relationships. I am still surprised as to what I hear from others when I am done performing. one lady said she recorded me on her camera phone singing it and sent it to her boyfriend. I think this was part of the group that was in town for a wedding. I found out I knew the 'blushing bride', she recognized me from one of the open-mics I frequent. she is usually cheerful, and acts thrilled to see me. I think I finally learned her name, sophie, since she was there to do karaoke as well. for the led zeppelin selection I chose that one as I like the mention of Chicago in it. I was familiar with how it was a re-working of an old blues song from the 1920s, about the 1927 flood in the south. this explains the line 'get to Chicago'.
    I mostly enjoyed the game watch, it was at the loop bar in Minneapolis. plenty of hawkeye fans there, for a game against penn state. I arrived near the end of the first quarter, I had some things I wanted to get done before I departed for the bar such as go to the grocery store. iowa led 7-5 at the half, but lost 21-19. penn state is a good tam though, ranked in the top 10 nationally. the place exploded after iowa touchdowns. but it was crowded, hard to be seen for a while to get a beer. had to wait until there was an open spot at the bar. eventually I stayed near the entrance door, and sat on a shelf there since I didn't want to stand for the entire game. and this spot opened as the local alumni chapter had been packing up what was on the table.
   I liked how I didn't have much to do today, of course I went to check my post office box. the order of two state quarters was there. I slept in the afternoon. and I turned in some change at the bank, something I do every two months. it was exactly 12 dollars this time, and as usual I deposit the amount in savings. still pleased with how much of it is pennies, nearly 3 dollars, and the value is more than the nickels in the final total.


No comments:

Post a Comment