Friday, September 29, 2017

what it's like, everlast

I did some more karaoke tonight, after attending a high school football game. for whatever reason, I chose 'what it's like' by everlast, even though it wasn't on the list I carry with me. but I always recalled the social commentary in it, and I think that was why I wanted to do it. the video shows the musician performing in the desert, and there are three stories that he tells. the first is the panhandler outside of the liquor store. then there is the young woman who is pregnant and decides to go to the clinic, apparently for an abortion. then there is the man dealing drugs that gets killed. I don't mind the swearing in it at all, as it lends some authenticity to it. taking it out wouldn't be honest enough. and I understand why some performers do social commentary, as they feel obligated to when they have a world view that not all others have. most memorable is the line 'god forbid you'd have to walk a mile in their shoes' which precedes the song title. the video also shows the musician underwater at one point. and I liked the ending as well, where there was a crowd looking at a window display. it appeared to be an 'ideal family' around a dinner table. much like before, I got there near the end of the night. it sounds like the show runner prefers that arrive even earlier, and I arrive when I can.
   first event of the evening was a high school football game. I went to south st. paul, where they were playing Mahtomedi, for homecoming. SSP got 2 TDs in the first quarter to go up 14-0, the second was just over a minute after the first, after a turnover. no scoring in the second quarter, so this was also the halftime score. I liked how the band was playing 'confident' by demi Lovato. I was in line for food at halftime, it took a while to get served. I went there just before the half ended, and it was 20 minutes for halftime and I finally had food and drink more than halfway through this 20 minutes. I was in line behind a man who said he was there with his grandson, who appeared to be no older than age 5. he carried him on his shoulders for a little while. I said I would have liked knowing my grandparents better, but most of them passed when I was too young to remember them well. Mahtomedi gets the ball to start the second half, and gets on the board to narrow the lead to 14-7. 3rd quarter ended with this score. SSP gets 2 more TDs near the end of the quarter to go up 27-7. Mahtomedi gets the ball with under 2 minutes left and gets another TD to narrow it to 27-13, and this became the final score after a failed onside kick and SSP doing 2 kneel-downs.
   the boxes of files in the vault were sent on a truck this morning to florida, so I had less to do at the office today. I got a lot of little things done, like schedule an eye appointment, since I had more time to cross things off of my list. I have two more weeks and then we are done. we had 'build your own burger' at midday. and before that I went to our AA, who handles the office newsletter, and I was informed that it is fine to do another how-to article. it will be published next week. I was aware that the most recent one was from September 1, but I didn't want it to be the last. so I am thankful I get to do a 'coda'.

No comments:

Post a Comment