Saturday, September 23, 2017

streaker at football game

went to another high school football game tonight, my second of the season. it was st. paul highland park vs st. paul central. I lucked out that it was mentioned while watching the 6pm news on WCCO, in reference to the start time being moved back from 4pm to 7pm due to the heat. this made it way easier for me to attend. likely most memorable was what happened near the end of the game. a streaker ran onto the field with 17 seconds left, and this young man seemed to succeed in eluding the cops/security guards, leaving  the field quickly and then scaling a fence. highland won 17-0, and led 2-0 at the half. so of course the only score in the first half was on a safety. it was tough to see how neither team moved the ball all that well, along with all of the penalties and turnovers. but I have to tell myself that it is high school football. there was a missed field goal as well. the first TD was early in the second half, highland ran back a fumble. there was plenty of injury timeouts for central, as I recall four. the 4th was the longest, by far. I saw how he went face-first into the grass, with just over 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, with highland up 17-0 by then. an ambulance was called, they brought out the board and a stretcher. so there was a good chance that it was a concussion or a neck injury.
   it is a reminder of why I like high school football, as it is cheap entertainment. the game ticket was $5, and the food I ordered was $6. I got plenty for that amount, a hot dog, Gatorade, fritos, and reese's peanut butter. when I left the stadium after the game ended, I was thinking to myself this is why I like writing. and I need to try harder to become a professional writer.
   I also found a karaoke venue after the game, and did one song as I got there near the end of the night. it was 'shake it off' by taylor swift. as  a baseball fan I had wanted to do that song, as it is sometimes played when a batter is hit by the pitch. the show runner was different this time, and was surprised that I remembered her. this is somebody who has orange hair, bright colored outfits, and is a balloon artist. so I figured that most people who meet her are going to remember her.
   I also had another patron ask me if went to high school in woodbury, but I did not. I was told I looked like their classmate.

No comments:

Post a Comment