Saturday, October 8, 2011

Modem and Laundromat

Went back to a laundromat in Maplewood that I once frequented, hadn't been there much since I moved last year. It was nice talking to the owner, I prefer working with her instead of the hired hands as she knows what she's doing and is real friendly. At times she even brought in the pet bulldog. She tried to teach me a Hebrew term, saying she grew up in St. Louis Park, saying it meant 'the Crazy Gentile' as she was given this nickname when living there. Found out we aren't that much different, as I spoke of a friend 'going emo' on me after his divorce, he hasn't spoken to me since. She said this happened to her as well. I would have liked having a business card with me as I could have left it there, since she expressed interest in seeing me do comedy sometime. It was a sentiment I've heard from others: in the past year you seem to be way happier, many think it's due to me dating somebody.
  It looks like the 3rd modem works fine. Met another Husker fan when picking it up, she was from Sioux City. It reminded me of a classmate from college in Iowa City who spoke of attending East and taking a Heelan boy to prom, and she said she did the same thing, which is at least a little scandalous when Heelan is the Catholic school there. She was wearing a Husker sweatshirt as she attended the U. of Nebraska, I shared the stories of the 3 Husker fans I knew before her. One was a coworker at the U. of Iowa, the second a coworker in suburban Chicago, the third a coworker since moving here. The middle one said he became a fan after getting so excited watching a kick return for a TD in 1972, found out it was Johnny Rogers.
   While at the mall after laundry I went to the Macy's to use a gift card I had recently acquired, through the company reward program. I got a dress shirt and 3 pairs of socks, still a few dollars left on it. Didn't like the sales rep making too many suggestions, eventually I said 'I'm the one with the gift card'. This was also where I heard on my car radio how Raiders owner Al Davis had died, known for moving the Raiders out of Oakland and then back to Oakland. In the evening I had a date, after watching the end of the Iowa-Penn State football game on ABC, Iowa lost 13-3. We went to see a movie, 'Moneyball', I liked it as it's about baseball and it's nice that they did a movie about a GM. One often hears about a general manager, who finds the players for the field manager. Big crowd there at the AMC in Roseville, used up a gift card I acquired at the company function in June at the science museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment