Sunday, October 16, 2011

Back From Iowa City

Made it back from Iowa City earlier today, a nice weekend there watching a football game where I had went to college. Iowa beat Northwestern 41-31, after leading 17-7 at halftime. The game was hard to watch at times, since Iowa was beaten on many stats like first downs and total yards. But they made the most of the turnovers, one of them being a 98-yard interception return. They never trailed in this one, though Northwestern did battle back to tie it before the 3rd quarter ended. I liked attending the alumni event at the Fieldhouse, the former basketball venue, before the game. I won a raffle item, a beer can cozy with the Hawkeye logo on it. There was food, but at first I didn't have much as it was from 3-5 pm and I am used to eating later than this.
   I even went out of town to see a few sites. I went to the Little Amana exit on I-80 to get some wine, I had been there once when I was a kid with my dad. For lunch I ate at the Maid-Rite, which was adjacent. I was able to order from both menus, having a 'mini pizza' from Godfather's, mushroom and pepperoni on it. From the Maid-Rite menu I had a strawberry shake. Next was to the baseball museum in the small town of Norway, in Benton County. I had wanted to see the town for a while, since I like baseball movies and the movie 'Final Season' was about the town's baseball team. The field was a half mile down the main road in town, and there was a game being played when I showed up. I didn't stay long as I wanted to get back on the road to Iowa City for the game in the evening. Before leaving Iowa City on Saturday for the Amanas and Norway I found 2 homes on the National Register of Historic Places. One was an early governor, Kirkwood, and the other was Grant Wood, the artist. It was near where I lived the final year of college. It finally dawned on me about one of the street names near where I lived, it was called 'Lukirk' which would be a 'mashup' of 2 governor names, Lucas and Kirkwood. Then it was finding Irving Weber School, and yes it was in a fairly new neighborhood as expected. I saw a silo on the drive over to it. I was taking pictures nearly everywhere I traveled to, since I don't know when I will get around to finding these places again. It's nice to have these places crossed off my list. A few more things can wait for the next visit.
   I ate at Outback Steakhouse tonight with my date after getting back into town. Hadn't been there in a while, but the food is good there. Also did a Skype call in the evening after dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment