Sunday, February 17, 2013

America Runs On Dunkin Donuts

   Went to the Dunkin Donuts this morning and had a Cupids Choice and Brownie Batter donuts. Those two must be the specials going now as they were being advertised quite a bit. It makes sense on having the former since it's close to Valentines Day. I liked the Brownie Batter donut as I like brownies. I had orange juice as I prefer it over coffee. I got a picture of the sign outside that reads like a rebus, 'America runs on Dunkin'. I got a few other pictures nearby of some of my old haunts in Schaumburg, Woodfield Mall and my workplace. Saw a security guard take interest in me when I was driving away from my former workplace, the Woodfield Corporate Center. There appeared to be nothing listed on the sign so it may be empty. The adjacent building, same entryway, is A.C. Nielsen. A former colleague did speak of how the company had been sold, and the new owner hired their own people so he along with the others were laid off.  I did my best to get one of a 'Kentacohut', across the street from the Dunkin Donuts in Des Plaines. But it was still two separate establishments, the Kentucky Fried Chicken was in a separate building from the other two. I had eaten at the KFC when I lived in the area. Checked out of the hotel and then back to the airport to take the train to the city.
     I decided to cram a lot into one weekend, so it didn't surprise me much that I was unable to make it to Soldier Field for the start of the first game, Notre Dame vs. Miami of Ohio. But it was no big deal to me as it can be hard to sit through doubleheaders in any sport. I was more interested in seeing the second game, Minnesota vs. Wisconsin. I made it to the venue about midway through the first game, it was scoreless but the first goal was scored shortly after I arrived. Notre Dame went on to win it 2-1. I did eventually find a game program, on the lower level along with many other souvenirs. I did walk both of the colonnades between games and got a few pictures of the dedications there, medal recipients from various wars if I'm not mistaken. One of them was an O'Hare, from World War II, I think this is the one the airport is named for. A security guard at first wouldn't let me back through, but he was facing the wrong way if he was trying to keep people out of the club level. Wisconsin won the second game 3-2, after leading 3-0 and the end of the second period. When I first arrived it was early afternoon, so I wanted food and drink. But the line was really long, and wasn't moving at all. Thankfully there was a vendor with a bag of hot dogs and some hot chocolate as well. I got the last hot chocolate, and it would be hard to estimate how much time this saved me. I heard somebody later on complain to a friend how long it took waiting in line, they swore about it. Another fan kept saying 'Ski-U-Mah' and this is the Gopher fight song, another fan told him to shut up. I was getting cold sitting in my seat, so for all of the third period I was walking around and watching the game from whatever space I could find.
   Near the end of the game I was exchanging text messages with a friend, in order to get logistics figured out for having dinner. I needed to pick up my bag from Union Station, then get over to the Loop to check into my hotel. I rode a cab, a short ride, over to the Carnivale. I thought I had ordered steak, per the recommendation of the server, but ended up getting noodles with vegetables like mushrooms and brussels sprouts instead. I did eat it, tasted fine. It was nice to see this couple in person again, first time in a while as they had been out of town in some of my previous annual visits to Chicago. The husband said being like a rhino is a good idea. I set out to emulate the elephant as this animal is strong and has thick skin, and both qualities are needed to survive in this world. He is from suburban Detroit, and went to Ferris State, which was named for a governor. He took out a smartphone to look it up online. Also spoke of being friends with the owner of the hockey team in Sioux City, Iowa. We did speak some about baseball, being from Michigan he likes the Tigers. I said I had been to Tiger Stadium in its final season, 1999. Will have to find out about sending any pictures I have from that game, it was in April that season, a 2-hour 1-0 Tigers win over Boston. The wife, the one I worked with before she moved over six years ago, is now in journalism school at Northwestern. They spoke of how they may move soon, must go where the work is in journalism. There was some mention of Atlanta, or even the Carolinas, I shared my stories of visiting both places. I was called a fancy-pants when I was dropped off at my hotel, as I was informed how it was a really nice hotel- and yes I did like hearing this from somebody who lives in the area. I found a good deal at Hotels dot-com, much like last year when I was in town for the historian convention and wanted to stay in the city. It makes sense how sometimes these deals are done, as they must ask themselves if they want to rent the room for half-price or not at all. I don't need much, no big deal how it's a small room. I liked telling them about doing writing and comedy, especially about being part of some diner skits last month but I don't know when the one I am in will be shown to the public. I gave them business cards so they could read my writings.
   I really liked seeing them as it's nice to be around those who know us well. We all need this in our lives every so often, as these kinds of people can put us at ease when others can't and have answers that others don't. I got pictures with them before leaving the restaurant so I could better remember the event. The pictures are worthy of my 'ring of honor'.    

No comments:

Post a Comment