Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Pretzel

    I went to the Iowa-Minnesota basketball game at Williams Arena in Minneapolis, which had a noontime start. Minnesota won 62-59. Iowa fell behind early 14-2 but closed the gap to 29-28 at halftime. I had a 'Super Pretzel' at halftime, something I had considered getting this week as a coupon was expiring. My neighborhood grocery store didn't have them, and I didn't want to run all over creation just to use a fifty-cent coupon. It worked better to have one at the game today, as one was all that I wanted. According to their website, if bought from the grocer's freezer it is 6 in a box. I asked for an unsalted one, with cheese, and liked having it. I had a small Sprite with it. I had no sympathy for the server, who had used a calculator to figure out the total for the customer in front of me. The server charged me just seven dollars for the two items, but it was eight. I was given correct change back from the twenty based on this, but said nothing as it was an extra dollar. There was one time when I gave a dollar back, it was when buying Girl Scout cookies. I would have felt bad about it if I hadn't, as it was a little girl who didn't know math too well yet. The server was at least a teenager and should know math well by that age.
   The basketball game replaced what I normally do on Super Bowl Sunday, which is see an early showing of a movie that will be over well before the Super Bowl begins. In the second half I start paying attention to key stats which help understand the flow of the game well. Iowa fouled more, so Minnesota had more chances from the foul line. Minnesota made more free throws, Iowa made more 3-point shots. Iowa led on rebounding for a while, but when the game ended it was a draw, at 35. Both teams had a little trouble with the pressure late, as some passes were errant and out of bounds. There was also an 'over and back' violation. In the end the difference maker was the foul line, as Minnesota was in the double bonus and Iowa wasn't. So Minnesota had a two-shot guarantee from the foul line. Iowa had the ball last, but needed a 3 to tie and missed it as time expired. I am very much an academic as to why one team wins and the other loses, which of course brings me to the Super Bowl.
   I did some errand running and chores after the game and before I went over to watch the Super Bowl with my date. This included taking care of the dishes and trash and groceries. In many ways the better team won, as the Baltimore Ravens built an early lead and held on to win, 34-31. The Ravens led 21-6 at the half, then ran back the opening kickoff in the second half to go up by three touchdowns. Shortly after this, there was a power outage at the Superdome, and the game was delayed for more than 30 minutes. I liked how the official was straightforward on acknowledging it. 'Resume play, third down and 14, let's go'. It works for me! I kept hearing the announcers say the stoppage in play helped the San Francisco 49ers, and it may have but I kept saying 'three TDs'. The deficit proved to be too hard to overcome. This is especially the case when it meant having to go for two to tie it, and the pass failed. Then of course it was 'Advantage Ravens' late, as they were able to run the clock and take an intentional safety, so the kicker had more room. The halftime show was all right, I like some songs by Beyonce but wouldn't call myself a fan. Some commercials were better than others. I liked a Doritos commercial where a man was wearing his wife's wedding dress as he played dress-up with his son. A Budweiser commercial about a Clydesdale reunited with its master, to the tune of 'Landslide' was another one I liked. It sounded like the original song, Stevie Nicks with Fleetwood Mac, but it has also been covered by two notables: Smashing Pumpkins, then the Dixie Chicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment