Sunday, February 24, 2013

Venus In Fur Play

    I went to see the play 'Venus In Fur' at the Jungle Theater in Uptown Minneapolis tonight. I had seen mention of it in City Pages, and it intrigued me since I had read about S and M before. Of course this is also the name of the novel, written by who gave us the 'M' in this term- Masochism. It was funny throughout, especially what Vanda said and did. First time at this venue, liked seeing plenty of art inside the theater. There was some S and M depicted in it, like the outfits, but little else aside from being tied up at one point and being slapped in the face.
    I had to be careful when walking over to the place after parking my car as I saw some people gathered outside at a nearby establishment. It sounded like this may have been a fight about to happen since it was getting loud. So when I took a picture of the venue I waited until I had crossed the street so nobody would yell at me. I usually pay attention to a 'Fair Warning' like this one.
    I haven't read the novel that inspired the play, but had heard of it before and read the Wikipedia page about it before seeing the play. The book is mentioned often in the play, so it was helpful to read about it in some form. With my upcoming schedule I was unsure of when else I could go see it, since its run will end in two weeks. But I said if I wasn't watching the Oscars tonight then I had the time.
   I made it home in time to see the end of the Oscars, and many of the major awards hadn't been given out yet. Of course Best Picture is awarded last. This award was announced by First Lady Michelle Obama via satellite from the White House. I hadn't seen 'Argo', the Best Picture winner, but I did see 'Silver Linings Playbook' and 'Lincoln'. Those two movies did win in other categories.
   After the play I did make it over to the grocery store, and used the gift card I got from the loyalty program at Superamerica. I picked up the card in the late afternoon after I had seen an episode of 'Little House' with my date. It was one where a boy wanted to see the Pacific Ocean as he had been diagnosed with leukemia. He had painted the ocean quite a bit before he was diagnosed.

No comments:

Post a Comment