Monday, February 11, 2013

Santa Monica Song by Everclear

   When I was driving home from the comedy club tonight I heard the song 'Santa Monica' by the band Everclear on my radio. Not my favorite song of theirs, probably 'Everything to Everyone' is. But still a nice reminder of seeing them in concert in 2001, with Matchbox 20. Their music is therapeutic to me since it speaks to my experiences more than some others do. Also decided to listen to 'Calling Me Home, Chicago' by Lee Montgomery on Youtube as I got it stuck in my head. This is a reminder of the song, at least part of it, being on ads for their tourist bureau when I would watch WGN as a cable channel as a youngster. I seem to remember the one commercial with George Wendt the best, unsure why. Though an online article from the Sun-Times, one of their major papers, said the most popular one was with ex-football players Dick Butkus and Mike Ditka.
   At work our senior leader did arrive with my service anniversary certificate, he must have been out of the office last week. I said I looked forward to next year when I can pick out a gift as it would be 15 years and he said he would like it if they offered appliances as gifts. I work in a finance office, but the company does also make appliances.
   Ah yes, the comedy club. It was fun matching wits with my fellow comics tonight before the show began. I said 'Sometimes I forget I'm around comedians' but I'm still not sure how I could. I let one of them know he was signed up twice, and he ends a call upon hearing this. He did go onstage tonight. He suggested I get a neck tattoo, I currently don't have any tattoos to speak of anywhere. It was a nice callback to his joke about having a neck tattoo. And I liked the 'Show of guns' joke about living in a rough neighborhood. The two comics 'pranking' each other last week were there as well. One of them lobbied on my behalf to get onto a podcast, a show that does interest me. The lobbyist has his own interview show, on the radio apparently on sunday mornings. Either show would be nice to do. When I spoke of doing 'diner skits' with a friend last month, it was said by one of them how he doesn't have this on his resume. When I was told I was a 'fixture' in the comedy scene, I asked if that meant I gave off light and illuminated the room. A comic that played a cop in the diner skits last month went onstage as well, doing the 'balding' joke that I like. I started laughing shortly after hearing the setup. Later on in the act I got a shoutout for it, and I like getting those. Even said so after the show. Another comic said he stops serving drinks when I am onstage, and few compliments are better than this one. The one that could top it is hearing I am a tough act to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment