Saturday, June 25, 2016

burlesque movie, cher

tonight I used a free night to get a redbox movie, 'burlesque', starring cher, and Christina Aguilera. since I have enjoyed attending burlesque shows I figured I would like this movie. there are some things I liked about it. when it is a movie about performing I like the performing parts more than what happens offstage. but I am aware of how the offstage things will affect the onstage. as an iowa native I am ambivalent about how they wrote the Christina Aguilera character as an iowa native. they actually didn't cover this much, it is early in the movie where she works in a diner and then gets on a bus to los angeles. I find some good takeaways related to performing. this was true when cher was serving as a mentor. she said things like 'owning the stage' and 'do you feel like you belong up there?' a few times I found it to be a little predictable, like when rivalries existed and I correctly predicted a sabotage that would happen. although the sabotage backfired. it was also kind of predictable about the financial troubles faced by the club owner, and the threat of losing the club. but as expected, there is a happy ending and the club is saved. no doubt I liked some of the songs used in it. one of them I recognized right away, near the end I heard 'fade into you' by mazzy star. another notable one was 'ray of light' by Madonna. I wasn't too familiar with it but I recognized the voice and said Madonna must be the performer and was correct. I found the song on youtube and I liked the video. I got this movie at Walgreen after eating at arby's this evening.
   I liked getting all six items crossed off my 'to-do' list. one of those was to replace my denim jacket as it had seen its better days. this time I decided to buy it new, figured it might last longer. it was hard to find one at first. I went to a goodwill and the only one there had summit beer patches on it, wanted a more generic one. target didn't seem to have any, and I went to sears and found a good deal there. it was half off, and a few more dollars was taken off due to my loyalty program there. after this I went to the dealer and picked up new license plates for my car, I figured it was just going to be tabs or stickers. after this I went on to south st. paul to attend kaposia days, an annual festival. had to skip last year as I was out of state at my cousin's wedding. I got a dairy queen blizzard, but they were sold out of festival buttons. I found a button at a liquor store called 'hat trick'. also got some water, and a hot dog, from a food trailer next to the park in the middle of town. then it was on to the car show at the high school's parking lot. saw a VW there that wasn't a beetle. also liked seeing a buick that looked like the 'rain man' car. there was a flea market, I got a john wayne magnet and a snoopy notebook. even liked seeing a 'little library' with a snoopy theme. and it looks like how the lucy statue that was inside pro-x pharmacy is now in front of the town's library. there were five inside the pharmacy. not sure where the other four are but pleased how at least one stayed in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment