Tuesday, June 14, 2016

end of the road, boys 2 men

I noticed I was saying 'end of the road' often lately, in reference to figuring my car had reached this point. I finally decided that it had, and let the mechanic know 'I've had enough'. it prompted me to look up the song 'end of the road' by boys 2 men. I knew it was a big hit in 1992. notable in the video was the background depicting 'end road station', letter B. it looked like the new York city subway system. although I am aware that the group is from Philadelphia. I guess it is relatable to many when the song has lyrics like 'although we've come to the end of the road, still I can't let go'. other lyrics in it I also like. this includes the spoken part, 'I just didn't care, and I feel pain too'. and it is hard to top one rhyme in particular, 'pain in my head I'd rather be dead'. in the background of the video there is a 'boomerang' banner, and it was a song in this movie, starring Eddie Murphy. after it on YouTube is another one of their songs, 'so hard to say goodbye to yesterday'. also seems appropriate. lyrics that work for me on this one include 'how do I say goodbye to what we had'. and 'I'll take with me the memories'. the video shows the group pouring beer more than once, often done when one has died. with the images of famous people who had passed on in the background, it did remind me of 'the dance' by garth brooks'. and as I recall, I did evoke 'so hard to say goodbye' as well as 'the dance' when I spoke at a memorial for bill young.
    at work I was making some calls in reference to getting a quote for the car from a scrap dealer. the repair shop said it wasn't possible to just sign the title over to them as a way of paying the repair bill. and I was told it wasn't likely to have them show up tonight when I was there to clean out the car. I wanted to get it all done in one fell swoop. well the scrap dealer will be around the next day, and I left the keys and the signed title with the repair shop. I also ate there as they had a good chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy. 'Fly like an eagle' by the Steve Miller Band was a song I recalled hearing while eating. good thing I got started early on this venture, as it takes a while to get there on the bus and light rail. then of course the time involved with cleaning out the car. it was a good thing that I brought two gym bags with me, as I needed both. I don't think too much about what is in the trunk of the car as I don't use it much. after getting back home on the bus I had it all in a grocery store cart. there was the two bags, a lawn chair, one of the two snow brushes, and a golf club. I left behind a few things, but not much. a gas can as there was no space, and hadn't used it in a while since I hadn't run out of gas in a while. and a window flag, a giveaway item from a baseball game in Cincinnati in 2002, before I even bought the car. I was told I didn't have to pull off the plates but I did anyway. I like having the plates from the cars I have owned, besides Minnesota of course I also have Iowa and Illinois. I took plenty of pictures of the car, not sure how many if any will be shared like on Facebook. one of these was the final odometer reading, over 193,000 miles. I didn't kneel on the pavement next to the car as it was raining, so I did it inside the car and said 'goodbye old friend. we've had a great run, nearly 13 years'. I honked the horn one last time. and patted the outside of the car saying 'goodbye old friend'. it was hard not to look back as I was walking away, but eventually I knew I had to. it was on to the light rail stop. I shared a ride with a delta pilot who had a name that reminded me of two Iowa governors. I did allude to why I had so much with me, including a weapon (the golf club).
   after some thought about it, I will be taking Friday off as my day for car shopping. at first it was going to be Wednesday but I noticed the rental cars would be expensive, those that were available anyway and not many were. found out pushing it back two days made a world of difference. and it gives me more time to research car buying and see what kind of financing I can get away from the dealer. I told myself I need to be more intelligent (actually I kept saying savvy) about buying a car this time. and I know full well that if I have a rental car with me, I can just leave if I don't like what I am hearing from the dealer. another sporty car would be nice, but something with good gas mileage is important as well, with miles under 100,000 preferred. something that gets me around the twin cities is most important, as I don't go out of town that often, more so during the summer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment