Saturday, September 3, 2016

hunger strike, temple of the dog

I loved going to the st. paul saints baseball game tonight, as they played music from 'grunge era'. during the fireworks one of those was 'hunger strike' by temple of the dog, which had members of various bands. I knew it as having chris cornell from soundgarden and eddie vedder from pearl jam, there is mention of mother love bone as well, a forerunner of pearl jam. I liked the video, it shows cornell, and then vedder, singing by themselves, with vedder in the grass. then scenes change fairly quickly, with the band playing on a beach and other views. memorable is the line 'I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadents'.
   the saints played the Lincoln (Nebr.) Saltdogs, and lost to Lincoln 5-2. the saints never led in this one, though they tied it twice. I liked walking around the stadium for a while after I arrived on the shuttle from gabe's bar. I use this shuttle less often since the saints moved from midway stadium to CHS field, but I still like using it once a season since I got to know the shuttle driver a little. it was crowded on this little bus, I was standing both times but I didn't mind, I just wanted to get somewhere. and when I got back to gabe's bar I had a bottle of grain belt beer and then I left, as I wanted some airline miles and this establishment is on the 'dining for miles' program. sadly I had to deal with some annoying people near my seat. one lady kept picking on a 'special needs' man and I wanted to say and do something, but what? I thought about doing something extreme but I didn't want to get ejected. I liked talking to this man throughout the game, he really liked the fireworks.
   it was hard to keep up with all of the music I was hearing but, as expected, it was a reminder of my college days in iowa city. 'dummy pictures' of the opposing team members on the big video board happened to be members of the band nirvana, and just before the fireworks the team showed a video inspired by their song 'smells like teen spirit'. like many people, now when I think of this song I am just as likely to think of the weird al yankovic parody, 'smells like nirvana'. dick van patten was in the video, for the parody. it reminded me how I have the movies 'singles' and 'hype!', about the grunge era, the former on DVD and the latter on VHS. I also have the 'singles' movie soundtrack. I knew one of my favorite bands, smashing pumpkins, had a song on the soundtrack and nirvana did not, even though the pumpkins are a Chicago band and not considered to be 'grunge'. during the fireworks I heard 'teen spirit' by nirvana, the aforementioned 'hunger strike', 'man in the box' by alice in chains, and 'evenflow' by pearl jam. there was trivia questions at one point between innings, and I liked seeing the images that were rebuses. one had 'alice in chains' as alice in wonderland. another was stone temple pilots, not a seattle band, although I have two of their CDs and I liked hearing 'interstate love song' during the game as well. actually, grunge went back a little farther for me. 'teen spirit' was a hit on MTV when I was a senior in high school. then a year later, pearl jam was a big thing, and I was at college in iowa city by then. and after that, smashing pumpkins. I liked being able to see pearl jam in concert twice, both times at alpine valley, WI, in 1998 and 2003. it also meant sharing the story about renting a car to get there as I had just moved from iowa to suburban Chicago, and my car had just broken down. I even heard a red hot chili peppers song, 'give it away', although the peppers were around before the grunge era, having been in the movie 'tough guys' back in 1986. I also mentioned Green Day, which is from that era, although not from Seattle and actually punk.
   during my lunchtime I went to a nearby building and got a haircut, by a barber that is also at the saints games. first time I had been in the building, when I walk in the skyway I am usually going the other direction, as the shop is in the degree of honor building. the workday was an easier one as expected, low volume on not just the payoff report but also the new titles and settlement letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment