Friday, September 9, 2016

i'm not the only one, sam smith

I watched a video that a comedy friend, the button, did live on facebook. when I had the time, so I didn't see it live like others did. she did 3 songs while putting on makeup, and the third was 'i'm not the only one' by sam smith. it had some catchy lyrics, not sure if I had heard it before. I liked lines such as 'vows, for better or for worse', 'had my doubts', and 'I still need you here'. the middle song was 'someone like you' by adele. the first was 'you know i'm no good' by amy winehouse. I recall being asked by a dental assistant before what I thought of amy, and said 'I thought she was a train wreck' as I heard more about her drug problems than her music. notable lyrics for this one included 'meet you downstairs in the bar', 'I told you i'm trouble', and 'stuck the knife in first'. I think I have written about Adele's music before. I said I liked the passion in these three, especially the adele song. this friend is known for doing karaoke, so I think this was done in a  karaoke format.
    in the evening I went out to a high school football game. the contest was st. paul highland park vs. Minneapolis washburn. seeing the flow of the game, it didn't surprise me much how it ended, as washburn won 27-21. washburn was up 14-0 at the half, and 21-0 early in the 4th quarter. there was a flurry of action near the end, highland park made it interesting, but of course it wasn't enough. the two washburn TDs in the first half were aided by a short field, a short punt (the first) and a fumble (the second). washburn did not punt at all in the first half. the oddest thing was seeing an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, against washburn, with just over a minute left. washburn was up 27-7 at the time, why would any of their players be upset about anything? it may have been after a pass interference call, but still didn't make sense. as the saying goes, cooler heads prevail. there was another interference penalty after unsportsmanlike conduct, this time in the end zone. then the squib kick worked. but after the margin was narrowed to 6, there was no squib kick, and the final play was a kneel down. this is sometimes called 'victory formation'. a kid asked me why he kept talking, which is a good question. I correctly guessed what the penalty was. hopefully he learned his lesson about how to conduct yourself around the refs.
   this game did remind me why I like high school football, dating back to watching these games while growing up in iowa. it is dirt cheap, as it was free parking, game ticket was $5, and my food and drink order was another $5. and I had plenty of food and drink- bottled water, hot dog, doritos, and reese's peanut butter. I will probably see more of these games here in the twin cities this season. I haven't seen a game in my hometown of newton, IA, since 2007, and I would like to think I will see another game there someday but not sure as to when.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment