Monday, September 5, 2016

hype! documentary

this morning , I watched my VHS copy of 'Hype!',  a documentary about the grunge music groups from Seattle in the early 1990s. so attending the recent Saints baseball game, which featured music of the grunge era, continues to influence me. I recall getting this VHS copy when I was living in suburban Chicago from 1998-2004, at a blockbuster video store, it was 'previously viewed'. on the back it says it has a nirvana exclusive, the first-ever performance of 'smells like teen spirit'. other exclusives are with pearl jam- an interview with frontman eddie vedder- and with soundgarden. it does remind me of how I have a VHS collection that has dwindled over the years, where they are junked if I find the same movie on DVD. so it did inspire me to check amazon to see about ordering the DVD copy there, and possibly the movie soundtrack as well. I liked how there was mention of the movie 'singles' in it, I already have it on DVD, and the soundtrack. it also reminded me of having some plaid flannel shirts when I was in college. so this may inspire me to find another one, although it might mean checking what is at secondhand stores. it is hard to say what the biggest takeaway was from seeing it again, although I like documentaries and biographies so it meant the interviews in it I really liked. I recall one interview saying something about 'doing it our own way', so of course that resonated with me.
    this afternoon I performed at the 'donut party', though international falls couldn't make it so we had a sub as the MC, who spoke of delivering for jimmy john's. I did most of my set about my recent travels to new York city, and to sauk centre. then I went home and rested for a while before I went to another show in the evening. school bouncer closed that show and got me another 'snapchat' interview, though I still haven't seen any of them since I haven't joined yet. the group is called 'the brothas', and I was bummed that one of them couldn't make it from Chicago but it was still a good show to attend. some of these performers I don't see that often, like a tall, thin dude who is high-energy, I said I wished I had his energy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment