Saturday, September 3, 2016

sinclair lewis, sauk centre

I made it up to the Sinclair lewis home in sauk centre this afternoon, knowing that time was running out on seeing it this season. I did get some souvenirs as well. there is a button from the centennial in 1985, a laminated card listing his novels and plays, and some postcards. one of them had the postage stamp he is on, stamped like a 'first day cover' envelope. I am trying to think of what I learned from the tour, though there was mention of a stepmom that was an influence and it reminded me of what I had read about Abraham Lincoln. and I found out he had plenty of novels that I hadn't heard of. looking at the card I said I knew most of them from 'main street' (1920) to 'dodsworth' (1929) and that was about it. and I understood he got the nobel proze shortly after this time, in 1930. I got pictures of other things in town, like the movie theater, and a bar that had the front end of a car sticking out above the front door. I spoke with the man who was in front of the bar for a little while, a patron. I had lunch at the casey's convenience store, a slice if pizza and a bottle of tea, before I did the tour. then after it my last stop before leaving town was the holiday gas station, for an ice cream sandwich. another patron in the bathroom there spoke of getting treatment for cancer. I was tired on the drive home, but I made it fine. late in the evening I went to a comedy show, small world is the show runner. I got the 'how right I was' feeling early on in the show, when the heard the jukebox on the upper level playing 'say it aint so' by weezer. after the show ended I liked hearing 'time of your life' (good riddance) by green day.

No comments:

Post a Comment