Saturday, June 17, 2017

chasing trane movie

this afternoon I went to see a documentary movie at the lagoon theater in Minneapolis. it was called 'chasing trane', about musician john Coltrane. I knew a little about him, I recall mention in pop culture twice about 20 years ago. he was name-checked in the Sheryl crow song 'if it makes you happy' and his music is mentioned in the movie 'jerry maguire'. I knew that he died in 1967, at age 41. although this documentary claimed it was due to liver cancer. the brief bio write-up I had read many years ago said he was known for drinking and hard drugs, although in this movie they say he quit those. notable was one of the interviewees being ex-president Clinton. there was also some interviews with a member of the doors. I have 'kind of blue', a CD mentioned in it, from when he performed with miles davis. I bought it many years ago when I lived in suburban Chicago, an office colleague recommended it, named paul kane. I liked seeing the previews as well, one was for a movie called 'b-side', about a photographer. I saw the one about Vivian maier so I will likely see this one as well. but according to the flyer I picked up it states the movie isn't due to arrive until next month.
   in the evening I went to the grocery store, shortly after a baseball game began on fox, cubs-pirates. I watched the first inning and rejoined it when it was in the third. the pirates won 4-3. then I went to do some karaoke. I did two songs, 'if it makes you happy'- aforementioned as Coltrane was on my mind- and 'my prerogative' by bobby brown. I saw somebody there who recognized me from another karaoke venue, in fact she said she was the button's friend. I decided to get out the 'kind of blue' CD and listen to it again, driving to and from the venue. it does seem to be good music to listen to while driving, as it has a steady beat. definitely better than loud and angry music such as rap, punk, and heavy metal. and it seemed to fit driving by myself, on a night with some rain. I may not listen to jazz much, since I prefer songs with lyrics. but I do like some jazz, as I am a fan of Charlie brown and snoopy. so I said to myself I just need to picture Snoopy dancing around to this music.

No comments:

Post a Comment