Friday, June 9, 2017

sugar movie, baseball

tonight I watched a DVD copy of the movie 'sugar', from 2009. I bought the copy from the blockbuster video liquidation sale. I saw the movie at the theater, limited (arthouse) release at the Edina theater. this may have been the first time I saw it since seeing it in Edina. as an iowa native and a big baseball fan, of course I like this movie. a preview for another iowa baseball movie, 'final season', about the Norway, IA, baseball team, was on the disc. seeing 'sugar' prompted me to see a minor league baseball game in davenport, IA, where it was filmed. it took two tries during that 2009 season, as it was rained out the first time. I recall how some wondered why the team didn't try to capitalize on the movie with merchandising, but 'bull durham' this isn't. since it was about a Dominican baseball player, much of it was in subtitled Spanish. and I am aware of how most americans don't like reading movies. a third reason I liked it was hearing a Spanish version of leonard Cohen's 'hallelujah' in it.
  saw this movie after eating at taco bell, having some ice cream at mcdonald's, and taking a walk around the neighborhood that yielded plenty of coins. it was 70 cents, 5 dimes 1 nickel 15 pennies.
   I was busy at the office for much of the day, submitting a 'how-to' article for the weekly newsletter in addition to my normal duties. payoff report was light, but there was plenty of new titles, and some new contracts as well.
  I also did some more writing, hard to categorize what kind though. if it was for comedy purposes or more serious ones, maybe both. it was mainly writing down words that resonate with me, and sometimes I say I am writing down what are good ideas for comedy albums/CDs.


No comments:

Post a Comment