Sunday, June 4, 2017

roger schultz

I was expecting to start off this entry about getting back from out of state, but tonight I heard some sad news. a fellow performer, roger Schultz, died this weekend. I found out through some facebook postings. one of them said he dealt with alcoholism, I knew he once did a comedy set about being in rehab. and another said he took his own life, due to depression. he is now the second 'ring of honor' member that we have lost. we is number 49, bill young, who we lost in late 2014, is number 24. I did leave a condolence online, it says services are pending. it sounds like it just happened over the weekend, on Friday apparently. I know I will want to attend any services and memorials that will be held, much like I did for gus lynch, and bill young. I think it is a good thing that I only found out after I got back to Minnesota, as it would have been hard to enjoy this weekend, my class reunion included, had I known about it any earlier. I know I did say at the reunion how, as performers, we are aware of many of the perils that exist when performing. with over-drinking and hard drugs being the main temptations. and I did recall saying how I had an 'up close and personal' version of 'scared straight' because I saw how costly it was for my stepdad's friend to have a drinking problem. and how we lost two more than two years ago, drugs claimed both of them.
   that being said, I did start the day in des moines, iowa, at my hotel room. I had continental breakfast, yogurt and some waffles, then packed up and checked out of the hotel. I stopped for gas near the hotel and got a small bottle of milk, and made just one stop along the way. it was in clear lake, iowa, at the casey's. it was for some more fuel, and it was also lunchtime so a slice of pizza and a bottle of tea. I arrived back home around 3pm, and after unpacking my bag I fell asleep for a while. I watched a 'simpsons' episode, a documentary theme, then went to the grocery store and after that to Walgreen. I wanted to get some pictures on to a disc from the weekend, and post them to facebook. some were also from the comic softball game on memorial day, and some of them already have likes. not long after getting back I did post to facebook about the weekend and say I was back home. I gave my 'play list' from the drive to and from iowa, and many of the CDs were from the same year. it seemed like a good theme since it was a reunion weekend. there wasn't much mail waiting for me upon arrival, which was nice.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment