Sunday, June 25, 2017

hurt, johnny cash

I began the morning at my hotel in st. louis, Missouri, near the airport. I got breakfast at the waffle house nearby. I liked seeing the good deal at the jukebox, four songs for a dollar. first one I chose was 'hurt' by johnny cash. the others were 'shake it off' by taylor swift, 'it's my life' by no doubt, and 'time of your life' (good riddance) by green day. I know that songs number one and three were covers, 'hurt was a trent reznor (nine inch nails) song first. and the no doubt song was first done by talk talk. I had to go with what was available, and when I was thinking of the first one I said it had to be johnny cash, not sure why. it is a brilliant song, especially lines such as 'you can have it all, my empire of dirt'. while I was waiting for some of them to play I heard one I really liked, 'love on the brain' by rihanna.
    as usual, I wish that  could stay longer, and visit more often than annually. but you do what you can. and as usual, not much to do on the final day. besides get breakfast, there of course is check out of the hotel, and get back to the airport. I had to return the rental car, and did so after breakfast. it was nice that the shuttle driver was willing to take me back to the hotel, albeit after the other two were dropped off at the airport. my flight wasn't until 3pm, so I didn't want to arrive too early for my flight. the driver spoke of her son being like me, not wanting to date friends. when I checked out of the hotel, I was pleased that the desk clerk said I would get a lower rate for the parking fee. I ate at a nearby restaurant for lunch, had been there before. I had found them on the delta airlines dining for miles program. I had a beer with the meal, it was Mexican food.
   on my flight I was in the back of the plane, a full flight. the gate agent with the mic was a spirited lady, and I liked how she seemed to enjoy her work as there it such a rare thing. I watched a documentary on my flight, 'food- you are what you eat', produced by the BBC. it fit well in terms of time, about 50 minutes. it was finished just before we arrived at MSP. I could see a football field for st. olaf, so we must have been flying over northfield. and I saw water towers for Farmington and Eagan as well. we touched down at MSP just before 5pm. I got two postcards there, for a little over a dollar. no surprise how I slept for a little while after I got back, shortly after I unpacked.
  I went to a memorial for roger Schultz, after I woke up and did the dishes. it was at a comedy club in the area. I was one of those who spoke when the question went out to the crowd if anyone wanted to. this was in the second half of the show, after the stand-up performances. I picked up a card advertising it, an image of batman in front of a microphone was on it. there was food as well, I had some cheese, and some baby carrots. I hadn't eaten dinner but I had a big lunch. then I went to the grocery store after the event was done. thankfully there wasn't much to do in terms of chores or errand running. this included the postal mail, not much waiting. and I kept the email knocked down when I was out of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment