Sunday, June 4, 2017

empty cans

I started the day in des moines, and watched a movie on AMC at my hotel, 'the fugitive'. then I went to eat at hardee's,  and got ready to go to newton for my class reunion. while in newton I looked around for a few hours before arriving at the reunion venue. it meant going to the town square to see our class display. there was a 'relay for life' event at the county courthouse grounds. I also found two more empty cans to pick up, bringing it to a total of four. I tried to going to the fareway grocery store near the square, they no longer accept them. I was advised to go to Hy-Vee, they have self-serve machines there. I got a bottle of water and a slice of pizza, and the can refund, 20 cents, was taken off my bill. I saw a junior high teacher and football coach, mr. hurt, there. he recognized me right away, this surprised me. he was wearing a Chicago cubs shirt, I knew he has been a cubs fan for a while. I also had a banana split blizzard at dairy queen, and found emerson hough school, as well as berg middle school. final stop was driving past the football stadium, close to the reunion venue, the American legion hall. we had our reunion there 5 years ago as well.
   it was a small crowd, I kind of expected it based on facebook postings. scheduling conflicts for many. but I didn't mind it, as I enjoyed this one more than most of them. it sounds like I have yet another reminder of how I am 'sitting on a winning lottery ticket' with performing, and writing. one classmate is a dentist in suburban Chicago, and does very well. but she sounded envious when I spoke of performing, as she said she can't do public speaking in front of crowds the size that I sometimes perform for. at times I got emotional, thinking about how I survived it all and still not sure how. but I like how I am in a different phase of life now, the one where I tell myself: who cares how you made it through? you're alive, go enjoy it! I did take some pictures at the reunion, but not many. I was there to catch up with classmates, not take pictures. I got one with two classmates near the end of the night. also of a banner advertising the DJ. I made 2 song requests with the DJ, both I have done on karaoke nights. 'muzzle' by smashing pumpkins, and 'breakway' by Kelly Clarkson. the latter one seemed appropriate for my story, as it is about growing up in a small town and not forgetting where you are from. we did talk some about those classmates that are no longer with us, up to seven now. hard not to, but probably a good thing that we briefly talked about it and then moved on as thinking about it for too long would be depressing. then I went back to my hotel in des moines at the end of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment