Thursday, October 18, 2012

10,000 Laughs Festival

Tonight I went to the 10,000 Laughs comedy festival in Minneapolis. It was in the basement, a venue I hadn't been to much before. As expected, I knew many of the performers though for some reason I was surprised to get a shout-out from one of them. I guess they recognize my laugh when they hear it.
   The buttons are an ongoing project. I did throw out way fewer today, just three. There probably aren't any more duplicates to find, but now I must think of if they are viable. One of them had no pin in the back and said 'be happy'. I opened it up and it said 'Dredd' on one side and 'Hawaii' on the other.
   Now I have it down to four bags in the box, totaling 276 buttons. I am keeping 48 and would like to sell 53 others. With some I know it may be hard to keep them when I have researched the asking prices on E-bay. This is true of ones like Levi's jeans or Amtrak. But I also know how money is easily spent, so it doesn't mean selling everything of value. Others I am keeping stand out when looking at them, like one that says 'Abraham Lincoln School, 1860-1985'. Not sure where, but I went to a Lincoln School so I can think of it as a companion to my Lincoln Leopards button I got when in school. There's also one with a cartoon picture on it which says 'Don't let the turkeys get you down'.
   When I think of those I am giving away, I also have to think of the best place for them. Since we love hockey in Minnesota, and I just visited the Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth recently, I am thinking the ones related to hockey should go there. Like hockey invitationals and tournaments. I had said something about donating things to museums, especially when I like history- and museums are a depository for history.
  It was a fairly routine day at work, aside from doing a dial-in meeting for a mentoring program at a Minneapolis high school. The allotment was one hour, but it was over in just over half that amount of time which was fine with me. It meant I could go to lunch a little earlier.
   On the bus this morning, there was a man with a fluffy beard and a St. Paul Saints winter hat on that spoke of getting SSI once a month, $800. He was fairly loud, hard to ignore. Another man was wearing a Montreal Expos hat, he looked a lot like Andre Dawson.

No comments:

Post a Comment