Saturday, October 20, 2012

Little Brown Church in Nashua

On the way to Iowa City for the Hawkeye football game, we stopped at the Little Brown Church near Nashua. I had seen it in 2009. I also wanted to see the Veterans Park I recalled has a howitzer and a tank. I don't see this too often in a park. What made it easier to stop for touring in this town also was needing to stop to eat. We ate at the Subway shop, which was closer to the 'Avenue of the Saints'. I did get two postcards at the church, for a dollar. One was an image of outside and the other inside. It was funny to see smaller versions of the church. One was 'the littlest', close to the real one. Another was the 'Little Little', across the road. It worked out on getting in a self-guided tour, when it's a popular place for weddings I knew there was a chance there would be a wedding happening. There's something like 250 a year.
   The football game outcome left a lot to be desired, as the Iowa Hawkeyes lost to Penn State 38-14. It was 24-0 at the half. But it didn't surrpise me too much on how it ended, as Iowa wasn't moving the ball well and had missed 2 field goals. In addition, Penn State was converting on 3rd and 4th down fairly often. The memorable thing was after the game seeing a Penn State fan with all of these buttons on a scarf. We got small towels when arriving at our seat. It gave the web address for 'America Needs Farmers', and I knew how the 'ANF' sticker has been on the Hawkeye helmets for a while.
   Before arriving in Nashua, we stopped to see the mall in Faribault. I was pleased to see the history on display inside. There were reprints of various documents like the FDR Four Freedoms speech. It was relevant to see it as it had just been mentioned this week when there was an article about an FDR memorial, at a park in New York City. I wrote down  the title of each, 13 on one side of the shrine and 18 on the other.
   I had hoped to get to Iowa City at an earlier time, but we arrived at 5pm for a game starting at 7pm. So we went onto the Hawkeye Express train in Coralville to the stadium, so we could get over to the Fieldhouse for the Member's Tailgate event. We arrived about 10 minutes before closing, likely the last ones in. But I had paid for the tickets and wanted to use them, so it meant enough to make it. Especially when I wanted to eat before going to the game. I had some bratwurst, a burger, fruit, and a peanut butter cookie. With the bottle of water we were offered while leaving, it paid for itself at $10 a person, since a bottle of water was $4 at the stadium I was told. There was a remembrance at Kinnick Stadium for Alex Karras, who had died recently. I knew him as an actor on the 1980s TV show 'Webster' and had heard he was a Hawkeye football player in the 1950s.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment