Saturday, October 13, 2012

Chaine Des Rotisseurs

I was moving around pictures in my photo albums and saw ones from 2005 when I attended the wedding of a friend from school in Iowa. I recall taking one of a sign that said 'Chaine Des Rotisseurs' but hadn't bothered to look it up before. Well I just looked it up on Wikipedia, and this is an active organization though their logo is misleading. It says 1248-1950, which might make some think it disbanded then but that is when they began. But it is still in reference to the craft guilds of the middle ages. I have heard of rotisserie chicken, if they speak of poultry then this must be related to it.
  The plans today called for a Civil War lecture at the state's museum. It was nice to hear it as I knew of many of the things being covered by the speaker. But it was still an event to promote his book about the subject, and it ended with a book signing. It was called 'America Aflame, How the Civil War Created a Nation'. Much of the information covered in the pamphlet we were given was not covered by the speaker, but it was helpful background information as to the times those people lived in. He was stressing the immigration of the Irish to America changing the demographics, that is more Catholics, but I thought he could have covered more how other immigration waves changed things like the Germans. It in many ways was a different look at the time than what other historians have done, but there was nothing wrong with this. I liked how the afftermath was covered, like how many inventors became famous after the war. it was odd how he undercut one argument about the war, saying he was an optimist and asked if it was possible to settle the dispute without so many war deaths. But early on he said the war happened as the extremists on both sides took over, and that is they way I was taught it when covering it in a college-level ocurse.

No comments:

Post a Comment