Friday, October 26, 2012

What Kind of Nurse Are You?

Went to Fright Farm in Maplewood tonight, my annual visit to a haunted house. I went tonight as I knew it was the night that best fit my schedule. After paying for my ticket, we were herded into a waiting area where an actress in a nurse outfit asked us to scoot, to make room for more people on what felt and looked like church pews. I asked what kind of nurse she was but got no answer. Another actor nearby was greeted by me, as I said 'good evening, Svengooli' as with his hat he looked like one. More than once, I said I liked the Maytag washing machine I saw along the way. It was a wringer washer in a mockup of a kitchen. I was with a group of high school kids from Hill-Murray, judging by their outfits. What I liked was that the line was shorter than previous years, likely helped by a larger indoor waiting area. I asked a deputy before getting in line how long the wait would be, and it was close to what I was told, 20 to 30 minutes. I liked seeing actors outside trying to scare people to keep them interested while waiting. There was a mirror maze and a food stand as well, but I did neither of those. The theme was different from previous years, as it was a 'poor farm', which is what the barn was part of before it became the county fairgrounds complex. My guess is the photos from 1935 on the wall, about a poor farm doctor being arrested for experimenting on residents, were faked. But it still fit the theme well, so I understood why they did it. I walked over to the barn despite seeing a ride available as I needed the exercise.
I said hi to the Charlie Brown and Linus statues at the Maplewood bank after I was done, then had a Dairy Queen Blizzard at the mall. It was pumpkin spice, I like it a lot and want it as much as possible since it's the flavor of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment