Monday, October 22, 2012

Herky On Parade

I was curious about statues in Iowa City and did confirm how there was two series done- the books and the Hawkeye mascot, the latter was known as 'Herky on Parade'. I was thinking I already had a souvenir of it, a poster, and quickly found the poster when I got home from work.
   So here we go, a description of what I see on this poster. There are 75 statues depicted, five rows of fifteen. The first one looks familiar, it is called 'Herky the Ironman'. It has Nile Kinnick's uniform number on it, 24, the school's only Heisman Trophy winner. I saw a mini-statue version of it over the weekend while in Iowa City at Iowa Book and Supply. In the same row is 'Incredible Herk', like the 'Incredible Hulk'. It stands out since few of them are green.Next to it is another black and gold one like the 'Ironman', 'Ultimate Fan' with striped bib overalls. There's 'Freedom Herky', with a patriotic theme, and 'Harley Herky', likely a Harley-Davidson motorcycle theme. Next to it is 'Harry Carey (sic) Herky', after the Cubs baseball announcer. Of course I like 'History Herky', next to it. There's 'Herk and Turf' as well.
   Next row is 'Van Gogh Herky' and 'Hayden Herky' next to it. The latter is a reference to former football coach Hayden Fry of course. A second one with a Van Gogh theme is next to it. I see one with a Captain America theme, as well as a Samurai theme. Then there's 'Herky Balboa' inspired by the 'Rocky' movies. There's another patriotic one, 'American Eagle Herky', along with 'Herkinator' likely in reference to Arnold Schwarzenegger. Last one in the row is a Marilyn Monroe theme.
   Row three has 'Olympic Spirit', along with 'Herkyman', looks like a Superman theme, so another superhero. I also see 'Four Seasons', 'American Gothawk' (an 'American Gothic' theme), and 'Rhinestone Cowgirl', in reference to the Glen Campbell song.
    Row four has 'Andy Warhawk', with the Tigerhawk logo all over it, of course a reference to Andy Warhol. There's Hercules Herky', I understand the mascot's name is inspired by Hercules. There's also a gargoyle theme, Jackson Pollock, Uncle Sam, and Ben Franklin. Next to Ben Franklin is one with a Hy-Vee theme, after the dominant grocery store in Iowa. I wonder if the artist, Marvin Campbell, is the same one who did the Newton Football posters. Those sold well. Then I see one with an Elvis Presley theme, and a 'Timeless Herky', which looks like your typical Herky. In the Charlie Brown and Snoopy series, it would have been called 'classic'.
   Row five has 'Coca Cola Herky', and another one with a Jackson Pollock theme. I also see one with a Dick Tracy theme, and 'Herky Hoover, The Great Humanitarian'. It of course is a Herbert Hoover theme, after Iowa's only president. Some of these have themes reminding me of Charlie Brown and Snoopy. I know they did at least one with an Elvis Presley theme, and same is true with Superman.
   At the bottom under 'Herky on Parade' is 'Iowa City, Coralville, University of Iowa' as it was a joint effort among these two towns and the university, along with 'Spring, Summer, Fall 2004'. I understand it was to mark the anniversary of the 75th anniversary of Kinnick Stadium, the football venue. So the 75 total statues made sense. I think I did see some on previous visits, and don't recall where I got the poster but I like having it in case I find any of the real ones around town.
   At the comedy club tonight I liked seeing the 3X5 card guy, as his jokes are short but pack a lot of punch. Even said so to him before. Some said they didn't like it, to each their own. He gave me a fist bump upon arrival at the bar.   

No comments:

Post a Comment