Sunday, October 7, 2012

Trouble With Curve Movie

Went to see the Clint Eastwood movie 'Trouble With The Curve' earlier today in Eagan. I liked how it had a decent amount of baseball trivia in it, like the four  20-game winners for Baltimore in 1971, though they till lost the World Series. It was a compelling father-daughter story, but baseball was still a big part of it. I see it as being relatable for many. What also helped with my opinion of the movie was seeing some well-known actors in it besides Eastwood, such as John Goodman. Or even Chelcie Ross, the crafty veteran Eddie Harris from the 'Major League' movies. I saw one joke as an inside joke about Justin Timberlake, an actor in this movie who is also a singer, since mention was made of rapper Ice Cube, who was in 'Boyz in the Hood'. I like to laugh at movies when appropriate, and there were a decent number of jokes besides this one here and there.
   I like looking around theaters, to see the posters for upcoming movies. One was billed as 'the director of Good Will Hunting', which is Gus Van Sant, and has the same lead actor in it, Matt Damon. Since mention of my favorite movie was made, I think I will have to put it on my list. My guess is a farming movie, as I recall the title is 'promised land' as the poster didn't suggest a religious movie.
    Tonight's 'Simpsons' episode was the Halloween episode, surprised they were doing it so early. I saw one segment as being a big 'Back to the Future' joke. These Halloween episodes are often the best storylines of the entire season.
   After the show was done, I had an omelet, which is rare to have breakfast food in the evening. But it tasted good, as there was some cheese in it. And bacon next to it. I usually will avoid it as I say breakfast food is meant for breakfast, but found out it took less time to make than other things did.
  Made it back to the fitness center for the first time in a while, in the early afternoon, before seeing the movie. I still like the pedaling machines being available, as it is the main thing I use.
   I called my dad this evening, figuring he would like to hear about the movie I had seen. He likes his Clint Eastwood, and I found out he had just seen it on Saturday. I liked how he got me more of the story of his bachelor uncle hopping trains in New Ulm, as I spoke of going to Oktoberfest this weekend. He said it was in August 1939, as World War II broke out a month later. The sheriff strongly advised he be on the train when it left, and spoke of the 'new grain doors'. Dad tells me they are in the center, and about the augers. He said there was boards to hold the grain in. But he said they don't use these kinds of box cars much now, as there are more hopper cars. I had heard the part about being 'woke up by an earthquake' before, which was when the car was hooked onto the train. He went to sleep in the car of course. then it was on to Arlington, South Dakota, to help with the grain harvest. I still think it will be a nice joke that part of the brick I want to buy in a New Ulm park would be in reference to him. But I also like knowing I got closer to the general area he was in when hopping the train, by finding the grain elevator and train depot.
  Another thing I did tonight was change a lightbulb, a CFL bulb had burned out in the main fixture where there are three sockets. So I replaced it by taking one from a smaller lamp I wasn't using. But now I am motivated to do even more. The bulb in the halogen lamp no longer works, and I noticed the shade was cheap plastic and was breaking apart. So the bulb was taken out, and I will dispose of both properly once I found out how. I know they are not to be thrown in the trash due to the mercury in it. But I really want to use the smaller desk lamp again, so it means getting a bulb for it, a smaller one than for the halogen lamp. I've kept it tucked away for a while. And this also means junking the halogen lamp, as I know it's best to get rid of what isn't being used. The shade has already been junked, as I decided to break it into pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment