Friday, October 5, 2012

South St. Paul Football

The plans tonight called for attending another high school football game tonight, South St. Paul is playing their homecoming against North St. Paul. It still brings back memories of attending games as a youngster in Iowa.
   I had hoped to make it there on time, but it was not to be. I had to pick up my date first. We also hadn't eaten yet, so it meant going to the concession stand to get food and drink before finding seats. South St. Paul won big 44-14. We sat on the visitors side, and we did see a long run for a touchdown in the second half. We didn't use the portable toilets there, one of them really stank. I had hoped to find a homecoming button but couldn't find anyone selling them by the time I arrived.
   It was kind of funny to see some of the dressed-up mascots, the Packer mascot was called 'Sir Loin'. I knew this was yet another reference to the town's history, once having stockyards. This also explains why their logo looks like the NBA's Chicago Bulls, another former stockyard town. The basketball team before the Bulls was called the Packers, then moved to Washington, DC, now known as the Wizards. Another dressed-up mascot looked like a yellow duck or chicken.
   When going back to my car I did see a flyer on the windshield, first thing I had to check was that it wasn't a parking ticket. It was advertising a fundraiser for the high school's basketball team. But since I already have plans this weekend, I knew I would be unable to attend. Odd to hear how one of the things being sold at the fundraiser was beer.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment