Saturday, April 13, 2013

Baseball Book Sale

    I went to a baseball book sale in the afternoon with my date. I was shown an article about it last week. It was a good idea to have a limit on what I'm willing to spend, much like when I order things on E-bay. I looked at 12 books and bought 8 of them. Many of them were biographies, like the ones about Bob Gibson, Leo Durocher, Yogi Berra, Bob Uecker, and Bill Veeck. I liked finding one about the St. Paul Saints and their league, called 'Rebel Baseball'. It will go well next to the one I already have, 'Wild and Outside'. I got 'Baseball by the Books', which has listings of various books of baseball fiction. Then there's 'Henry Wiggen's Books', 3 books in one, including 'Bang the Drum Slowly'. I had seen the movie version in college after taking a baseball literature class. This was one of the books in it but I didn't like the class despite liking the material as I didn't like the instructor.
  I even saw copies of plenty of books I already had, or ones I had read before as my family had some of the books when I was young. The sale mostly had books, though there was also some LP records and even a ball that was stamped 'official ball of the 1994 World Series'. It reminded me of a 'Simpsons' episode where Homer had some of these and Bart said 'Dad, that was the strike year'.  
   This morning I read an article about the castmembers from the TV show 'Family Ties'- a 'Where are they now?' One of them I already knew about, from doing comedy. Marc Price, who played Skippy the neighbor, does comedy now. Haven't met him but some of my comedian friends have worked with him. And there's his picture up at one of the clubs I frequent.
   In the evening I saw two more segments of the 'robber baron' DVDs with my date. It is now covering J.P. Morgan, and to a lesser extent Thomas Edison as Morgan was his financier. They did cover how Morgan brokered the deal that created General Electric, merging Edison's company with a rival.

No comments:

Post a Comment