Friday, April 26, 2013

Post Office Grand Opening

    I went to the grand opening event at the post office in downtown St. Paul earlier today. There were some who spoke of the mayor being there by the time I arrived. It didn't surprise me much how the mayor wasn't there for long, likely has a busy schedule. I know that politicians like being part of openings, since it usually means a ribbon cutting ceremony and photo ops. I liked having the cake and punch. There were some free items as well- a newsletter with a word find, and a coloring book. I noticed the copyright date on the coloring book- 2006- and it explained why there were images of postage stamps for 39 cents instead of the current 'forever' stamps. It had 'the largest' of most everything, including the Gateway Arch in St. Louis and the American Bison.
  I hadn't heard of grand openings for post offices before, likely since they are rare. So it was nice to be a part of one. I knew this one happened because it replaced two downtown locations. One closed in February and the other in March. This one is more accessible by the skyway system.
  Memorable was one of the attendees. She was an older woman that recited a rhyme, 'If the husband is cross, then pick up a broom and show you're the boss'. She later spoke of injuring her leg at age 6 when landing on a coffee can, while playing with a cocker spaniel dog named Blackie. She claims it has led to 80 stitches still inside of her.
   I made it to The Turkeys comedy show tonight in Minneapolis, and I did see the skit I am in. I also showed a friend the button I was wearing, saying 'Don't let the turkeys get you down'. He called it 'thematic'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment