Friday, April 5, 2013

Garbage Concert

    I went to a concert tonight. The band Garbage was playing at Mill City Nights in Minneapolis. It was a general admission show and at first I didn't have a good view of the stage. I recognized one song about wanting to be a 'Dirty little secret' and then moved around some more. Eventually I did have a partial view of the stage, could see one of the guitarists most of the time and sometimes frontwoman Shirley Manson as well. She spoke of an early show at First Avenue in 1996 and seeing a line out the door, thinking it was for them. But it was for another band, and meant to say 'Jump the gun' but said 'Jump the shark' instead. This was the same year I had hoped to see them open for Smashing Pumpkins- in Moline, Illinois. But I didn't make it in time to see them as an opening act.
   They had a song for the 'Romeo and Juliet' soundtrack if I'm not mistaken- called 'Number One Crush'- and it was played at the show. I especially liked hearing them play 'Only Happy When It Rains' and let out a primal scream at the end of the song. It's proof of how I go to concerts to remember the pain, and forget it, at the same time. During encores they played 'Stupid Girl'. I like being on the upper level to stay above the craziness but it meant a bottleneck when leaving. I still didn't waste much time walking back to my car once leaving the nightclub. I had a Stella Artois beer. There was an opening act but I arrived for the show near the end of the opening act's time onstage.
   This evening before the show I ate 'The Box' at Taco Bell. Notable was seeing a job interview begin as I was eating there, and hearing the Billy Joel song 'For The Longest Time' as well. On the bus this morning the grouchy woman was herself as usual, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment