Saturday, April 20, 2013

Jackie Robinson '42' Movie

    I didn't drive anywhere for the past two days so I needed time to dig out my car before going anywhere this morning. It meant getting out my heavy-duty snow shovel in order to clear a path. This is what I bought the shovel for- to cut down on hearing my wheels spinning and tires smoking when trying to get around on the snow and ice. Then it was on to do laundry.
   In the late afternoon I saw the movie '42' about Jackie Robinson in St. Paul with my date, in the Highland Park section. I liked how it covered plenty of things relevant to the story, like Dodgers executive Branch Rickey speaking of how he didn't help out his catcher enough when he coached at Ohio Wesleyan. So he said he wanted to integrate the game at some point. I didn't recognize many of the actors in it aside from Harrison Ford, who played Mr. Rickey. But for those who enjoy baseball, history, or both, it was well worth seeing. It did say 'Based on a true story' so I expected a few characters and scenes to be invented for dramatic effect. This was true with Dodgers manager Leo Durocher, who was suspended but not for the reason given in the movie. Some notable players of the time were not portrayed but were mentioned, like Hank Greenberg, Stan Musial, Ted Williams, and Joe DiMaggio. Hopefully the previous biopic, called 'The Jackie Robinson Story' from 1950 where he played himself, will be more readily available on video soon like at Redbox. I had also heard of one called 'The Court-Martial of Jackie Robinson' but haven't seen it. There was reference to his court-martial in this movie. I did like seeing a chalkboard in the background at one point, which said 'St. Paul' as a reminder of how St. Paul's minor league team was a Dodger affiliate then. So in many ways it was more appropriate to see it in St. Paul than, say, a suburb. Though there aren't many theaters in the city of St. Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment