Thursday, April 4, 2013

NIT Final, Madison Square Garden

   I went to Gabe's bar in St. Paul tonight as I kept seeing emails saying the Iowa Hawkeyes had made the NIT finals. Iowa ended up losing to Baylor by 20, but it was still a fine season. It seemed like Iowa wasn't getting the rebounds much in the first half, and Baylor was more aggressive on defense as well, with a few takeaways. I have been to this venue, Madison Square Garden, in 2005 to see the Eminem concert. I called my dad at halftime, he said he had sent me a pocket Iowa Cubs schedule but I hadn't seen it in the mail just yet.
  Both episodes of 'Big Bang Theory' were good tonight. The syndicated rerun was the one about Sheldon being forced to take a vacation- and decided to be an assistant to Amy Farrah Fowler in her laboratory. The first-run episode was about a tenured position opening up at the university. It serves as a powerful reminder of how sometimes it means doing some of the politicking if one wants a coveted job, as sometimes 'Letting the record speak for itself' is not enough when it's competitive.
  On the bus tonight after work, I heard a younger man speak of being caught with drugs, don't recall how much. And something about asking for directions from an officer, then being searched by the same officer. It rivals the one I heard the previous night. It was a couple who swore a lot, and the man said he wouldn't allow his mom to speak like that again. Both spoke of people being beat up but I'm not sure as to what it was for. Some people give 'Fair Warning' that there's no winning with them, and I pay attention to these warnings. Same was true at the sports bar, when somebody wanted to argue football players with somebody on the other side of the bar. Others did make it worthwhile for me. A woman who was sitting next to me with her young daughter said 'I'm not a crazy customer, I work here' in response to saying I wanted the TV switched over to ESPN to the game I wanted to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment