Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Billygoat Curse

    I read a Yahoo article about a goat head being sent to Chicago's Wrigley Field. It of course is a reference to a 'Billygoat curse' that according to legend goes back to the 1945 World Series, which the Chicago Cubs played in. A tavern owner had a pet goat that was banned from the stadium. I understand the 'Cheeseburger' skit from Saturday Night Live, done by John Belushi, was inspired by this tavern. The article claims the goat head was likely sent in response to planned renovations at Wrigley Field, with more advertising and more night games as well. The Cubs last won the World Series in 1908, so I wonder what they had to say for why they couldn't win the Series before this 'curse'.
   I watched Brad Paisley on Jay Leno, he performed a song and then was interviewed. It's not too often that a musician is interviewed on this kind of show, usually they do the song and that's it. But the interview was about a different song called 'Accidental Racist', with rapper LL Cool J. There was mention of a firestorm of debate in social media, including Youtube, and I did find some of it. But what I couldn't find for whatever reason was the song itself, which is kind of odd unless it's due to being controversial. I did find the lyrics eventually when doing a search outside Youtube. A commenter on Youtube said the lyrics given on one video weren't accurate. I'd like to hear the song at some point, as hearing other people's comments about it is a poor substitute. Based on the lyrics I found, I would say it appears one observation in Time magazine if I'm not mistaken is still sadly true: we Americans are still fighting the Civil War.

No comments:

Post a Comment