Sunday, April 7, 2013

Siebert Field, Gopher Baseball

   Went to a Gopher baseball game at Siebert Field in the afternoon with my date. It was opening weekend at this venue after an extensive renovation, and the Minnesota Gophers beat Ohio State 1-0. The game's only run was in the sixth on a home run. It was nice seeing a pitcher's duel. It was a quick game, the announcer said it was one hour 37 minutes. This is about the length of many movies. I had seen a game there in 2009, against Iowa. It's much nicer there now that the stadium has been rebuilt. As expected, I got plenty of pictures while there.
   I made it home in time to watch '60 Minutes' on CBS. There was a feature about the parents of the Connecticut school shooting victims, trying to lobby Congress to pass tougher gun control laws. A later feature was about pro basketball player Jeremy Lin. Watching 'The Simpsons' was fun as usual. It was about a standardized test at the elementary school in order to save the school. At the end they found a way to intertwine it with Homer having a rogue parking meter. He claimed the meter from the landfill after throwing out electrical appliances because the utility rates went up.
   Eventually I told myself I needed to see about finding a strong box for valuable items. I did so at Target after going grocery shopping. I was pleased with what I found when I started filling it. As expected, some of the things moved into it were taken out of a file cabinet I got at a secondhand store when I first moved to the Twin Cities over nine years ago. I liked finding the copy of my great-grandma's Ellis Island records from 1902, so I put it in the box. I decided to search for it when I was in New York City in 2005. It can be tough to select what belongs in it, but one must establish priorities in life. And of course with anything, what I have in it is subject to change. I also decided to scout out a venue for a baseball book sale which is in a week. It's in a part of the metro area that I didn't know well. Looks like it's a good idea to bring quarters with me as I saw plenty of parking meters nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment