Monday, April 8, 2013

Good Will Hunting

   At the comedy club tonight I heard a joke from the comic that likes to do the 'Aggressive cuddler' joke and he tried one about 'Good Will Hunting', my favorite movie. It fell flat, but I did find him after he was onstage and said I am hopeful that he turns it into a better joke. It was about how he was surprised that the main character wasn't offered a scholarship when he's a genius janitor. I said being a violent genius janitor may have covered it in the storyline. I even shared my story about how the movie changed my life. I was temping for the State of Iowa government, not that far removed from college graduation, when I first saw it at theaters. The construction scene where he hears that he's sitting on a winning lottery ticket resonated with me. I decided that I should move on before I got the same speech from somebody. First saw it in late January 1998, and I moved to suburban Chicago less than four months later. It's the only movie I've seen at the theater twice, as I saw it in June after moving. I packed up a U-Haul and moved there before finding a job or a place to live. It was a gamble, but it paid off for me.
   I did do more with the strong box, taking some things out and adding other items. I was pleased with what I found when looking for things to add. This included a wind-up toy that plays the Iowa Hawkeye fight song. This is still definitely a work in progress but I like how I was finally willing to tackle it.
   At work there was the typical high volume for a Monday. The lollipop girl said she was going back east to New Jersey for a week in late April and early May for a wedding. I noticed it when checking the calendar, seeing she would be out of the office on Arbor Day. But of course Arbor Day has nothing to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment