Saturday, February 15, 2014

10 Years In Minnesota

        It took me a little while today, but I finally thought of how it was a milestone day for me. I moved from suburban Chicago to the Twin Cities on Valentine's Day weekend 10 years ago. In many ways it seemed appropriate that I marked 10 years of living in Minnesota by attending a comedy show. The rap/comedy act known as Valley Meadows was performing. It was at the show where I spoke of the 10th anniversary. I said I am in no way sorry now about having to move here, even though at first I didn't want to move that bad. I have a circle of friends that I didn't have then. I did say more than once how I do my best to support my friends, and my 'Bestie' along with this act are near the top of my list. There was a joke about hoping to move up to the 'Bestie' title, but it is in many ways taken. I saw some of their merchandise after the show, two different types of shirts. One kind of shirt I had seen before and the other I hadn't. I said I did have one shirt already, it was promo for a combined tour with the girl band the Dirty Curls. I like the 'Joe Biden' song by the Dirty Curls, and was told the sub-teacher from this act would be playing Biden in the music video. I liked seeing both comics do sets before they combined to do the Valley Meadows act. Some of these jokes I hadn't heard in a while, like 'One dollar of gas' or 'Sharing cookies and bullets' for one. For the other I liked hearing 'Eye candy as a bookstore employee' and 'Comparing marijuana to NASCAR'. I liked getting a free Valley Meadows sticker after the show, and I already had the CD. It was a shortened version of their act, but I liked hearing the 'Hot dish' routine along with 'Don't substitute my love' along with the cop-hating song.
   I did various things today before the evening arrived. I sent a text message to one E-harmony match in hopes of getting a date scheduled this weekend. It will have to wait, as I got a response right away about being out of town to visit family. I got a new battery for my car, and went to Dairy Queen to use my 2-for-1 Blizzard coupon. Much like before, I eat one there and take one home. It means one of them is covered right away.
   Then after DQ it was on to an event at a bowling alley in St. Louis Park, called Park Tavern. It was slow going due to the snow, and I arrived about 30 minutes after the event began. There was pizza served, and since I hadn't eaten lunch yet I liked having the pizza. I bowled some as well, and completed one game, a 92 score, one strike and one spare. I got another game started, a better pace than the first as I had a 53 through 4 frames, but the time allotment ran out. The lane lights were shut off as my ball veered off into the gutter just before it hit the pins. I noticed how one woman had the same approach each time, different from mine. She would stand behind the line and swing her left arm back and forth a few times and release the ball. I do the customary thing of walking up to the lane and releasing without a pause at all. It in many ways is typical of many of my weekends, where my meals are irregular. I had a Spam single and two pieces of string cheese before I headed out to the comedy club. I had just been to the grocery store for my customary weekly grocery run.

No comments:

Post a Comment