Sunday, February 9, 2014

American Spirits: Prohibition Exhibit

     This afternoon I went to the Minnesota History Center and saw the 'American Spirits: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition' exhibit. I knew I had just another month to see it, and this day was available. I bought some small souvenirs after seeing the exhibit- two postcards, a button and a magnet. I got 12 pictures on my camera as well. Some was of artwork supplied by breweries who had exclusive rights to supply certain saloons. These particular artifacts were on loan from Anheuser-Busch. There was mention made of the likes of William Jennings Bryan and Billy Sunday, as both were advocates of Prohibition. There was a display about the entertainment in speakeasies, including Louis Armstrong. Near the end, there was a wall devoted to famous gangsters involved in the liquor trade. One of these was 'Dutch Schultz', whose real name was Arthur Flegenheimer. This name was familiar to me as I saw a movie called 'Billy Bathgate', which was about Dutch Schultz. I saw it at the theater with my dad, and he spoke before we saw the movie how he knew of his real name. Dustin Hoffman played him. I liked one line he had on the witness stand: 'I am a public benefactor, not a public enemy'. It was well worth it to be there at the exhibit, as I usually enjoy my time at a museum.
   After the museum visit I went to my employer's fitness center, which was nearby since the museum is close to downtown. I wasn't there for long, making it just before closing time. But I like knowing I am getting back in the exercise habit more. Then it was on to the copy store to get some things printed. One of these was a photo I got from the museum exhibit, next to a cardboard cutout of Al Capone. It was a nice souvenir to have. I did briefly visit with who I know there, while he helped me with my purchase of a Charlie Brown mug, which was on sale for $5. It has a winter theme, and even though it says it is a mug it is bigger than my coffee mugs. It looks more like a soup bowl to me. There's Lucy, Sally, Snoopy decorating a snowman, Linus throwing a snowball, and Charlie Brown on a sled, and 4 Woodstocks. I'm proud to have it, as I wanted it more than the glass ornaments. I liked how this friend suggested putting it in a box to protect it while getting it home. I like hearing how his training will be finishing soon, apparently he expects to be practicing as a chiropractor later this year.
    My internet dating fortunes may be changing, though it's hard to tell at times. I am getting more responses, but I know it doesn't mean a thing until-or maybe I should say unless- I meet them in person. One of them requested to skip to emailing, and said they were unavailable for more than 2 weeks due to being ill. I did get not one, but two, responses on Facebook to my comments about my E-harmony frustrations. But both are from out of state- one from Florida, the other Colorado- and I haven't done a long-distance relationship before. I did finally get a response to sending flowers and a card to one match, by email, but still heard 'No'. At least I got a response. I did respond to some of what was written, and said 'If you ever change your mind, don't be afraid to contact me'. I said my preference was to date, but I am open to just being friends as well. Can't have too many friends, only too many enemies.
    This was also a laundry day, and I did laundry before going to the museum. As I was leaving the Laundromat, I saw somebody smoking a cigarette- inside. It may have been the same man who had a NORML shirt, which I know is a pro-marijuana organization. When I was driving home I saw a vanity plate on a car that said 'DUI/DOA'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment