Saturday, February 8, 2014

Decus Et Tutamen

    I went to a US Bank to have some change counted around midday and I made a nice discovery there. At first I was a little frustrated about having to wait for the machine, normally I don't have to. But it said 'Temporary delay, see attendant'. Then an attendant showed up and took out a full plastic bag of quarters. On her cart was two full bags of other coins, pennies if I'm not mistaken. I was third in line but the line moved quickly after the attendant arrived. When I stepped up I ended up with $7.29 as expected since I count it before putting into my can at home. I keep track on an old business card I tape to the side. The breakdown was 114 pennies, 27 nickels, and 48 dimes. I usually don't put quarters in as I value them for things like doing laundry, or getting a paper. Much like before, the change once counted is deposited into my savings account.
    The discovery was some foreign coins left behind by others. This must have been the loud knock when the coins were being counted, having them spit out. There were 5- one Canadian quarter, two British pounds, and two Euro coins. One was a 1-Euro coin and the other 20 cents. It was the first time I had seen Euro coins. I hadn't seen many British coins yet, only on my one visit to Great Britain in 2012. I checked the current exchange rate online, and it says the 1.20 in Euros is equal to $1.64. The 2 Pounds are $3.28. I had 1.88 Pounds from the one visit, so the 3.88 Pounds are worth $6.37.
   I tried to ask someone while in Great Britain about the inscription on the pound coin, but didn't get an answer. This would be 'Decus Et Tutamen'. Apparently it's Latin and means 'An ornament and a safeguard'. I don't know what it refers to specifically, unless it is to the currency itself.
   I went to a hockey game in the afternoon, it was Charles Schulz Arena in St. Paul. I like going there annually as I  am a Charlie Brown fan and I like to see the Snoopy statue inside. It was Senior Day for Cretin-Derham Hall, who was playing East Ridge. Cretin won 4-2. East Ridge went ahead 1-0, their goal was midway through the 1st. Cretin went ahead 2-1 with two goals early in the 2nd. East Ridge tied it 2-2 with a goal early in the 3rd. Cretin went ahead 3-2 with a goal at about 6 minutes left, and it ended 4-2 with an empty net goal in the final minute. I did 'Chuck a puck' for a dollar, and threw a rubber puck onto center ice during the 2nd intermission. Mine was one that kept rolling and didn't fall over.
    I was on Facebook tonight and I saw a posting from E-harmony. Many aired their frustrations about being unable to find the right one, including me. This led to me getting a response from somebody. I asked them if they had done a long-distance relationship, as they are in Florida and I am in Minnesota. I will have to see where this one goes, but either way it is another good story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment