Thursday, February 6, 2014

Swallowed, The Bush Song

    This morning I did my customary walk through the skyway before reporting to work. I like how I can recognize enough lyrics from a song so I find it online later. In this case it was 'Swallowed' by Bush. I recalled 'Swallowed, I know, everyone'. I actually found multiple hits, but figured it had to be the Bush song. I was pleased that it led to finding another Eminem song- 'Talking to myself'. I don't know this band that well, but I like this song. Listening to it in full on Youtube, and reading the lyrics, helped. The contrast works- 'Everyone and yet not'. When a fish hook is mentioned, then 'Swallowed' as the title makes more sense as it is in many ways a fishing reference. The video suggests it is a love song, but also one about angst, and the angst part works for me- as there is mention of self-esteem. When it ends with 'Miss the one I love a lot' the lasting impression is the love theme of course.
   Now for Eminem. 'Talking to myself'- I think it was the first time I heard it. But it is familiar, since one can tell that he is working through things in his music. This is evident when he speaks of writer's block, and a bitter pill to swallow. I think this is why I found it when I entered 'Swallow'. I already can say how brilliant he is in his craft with his other songs, so I don't think it's one that will be a standout for me. But it's still a pretty good song. I would say it more about 'Lose Yourself', since the movie '8-Mile' made me an 'Em' fan. Others in that elite category for me would be 'Real Slim Shady' and 'Need a Doctor'. I like the passion in both, especially saying 'Will the real one please stand up' in the former. And of course how he sings about his mentor, Dr. Dre, in the latter. Then there's 'Without Me'- saying 'Let me be me'. I like how he has put out so much music. I seem to find one of his songs all the time when searching for song titles by other musicians since he often has a song with a similar title.
    I did watch two episodes of 'Big Bang Theory' tonight. The syndicated rerun was a Christmas episode where Leonard's mom visits. He finds out Sheldon has a better relationship with his mom than he does. Kind of funny how his mom and Penny get drunk together. The prime time episode was a Valentine's Day theme, where Sheldon, Howard, and their ladies take a train to the Napa Valley. We all know Sheldon loves trains, so it works that he met a friend on the train who had the same passion. But this annoyed Amy, as expected, since she was being ignored.
   Somebody I know from riding the bus spoke of Jay Leno and the Tonight Show. I was unsure when he would be having his final edition but found out it was tonight. I liked watching it, as many famous people said farewell, including Jim Parsons, who plays Sheldon. It was nice to hear stories from Billy Crystal, and Garth Brooks performed two songs. I like 'The Dance' more than 'Friends in Low Places'. I had to laugh when a 'Kiss Cam' was done in Congress, to the tune of 'Kiss Me' by Sixpence None the Richer, a song that was in the movie 'She's All That'. On CNN at midday in the break room, they went through some of the notable events from 1992, when Jay started hosting the show. One of them was the opening of Mall of America.  

No comments:

Post a Comment