Monday, February 3, 2014

Parson Weems Fable

    At the comedy club tonight, I liked how the two comics near the end did history jokes since I majored in history. The show closer did speak of his brother who is a history re-enactor at Fort Snelling- he does jokes about studying music, like opera, in college. But the one I liked even more was the comic before it, how World War I was at first called 'The war to end all wars'. Then he went on to covering a legend surrounding the George Washington story- chopping down the cherry tree. He said the story that reminds you not to tell a lie is a lie. I spoke with him after the show, and I expressed appreciation for the history jokes. I said the cherry tree story was known as 'Parson Weems fable'. It is also a famous painting, by Iowa native Grant Wood. I was familiar with this artist as he was covered in art class in grade school. I spoke of how I was confused hearing 'Parson Weems' along with 'Mason Weems' but found out it is the same person. He was a preacher, so 'Parson' was his title.
   Some other notable comics were the 'Bathtub comic', who did a joke about his mom being in the crowd as it is her birthday. Another was how his parents divorced when he was young, like age 6, and he kept outing his mom as a lesbian to strangers. Since it's Black History Month some comics did jokes about this subject. I also liked getting some items related to a movie premiere, it had been a while since I had seen a movie promoter at the club. It was for 'About Last Night'. I got a poster and a postcard, the advance screening is next week.
   It was a busy day at work, the new metrics just took effect. It now means emailing the boss when we are done with things like the payoff report as we are being timed now. When I emailed I got a response saying my boss had seen some of my comedy clips online, on Youtube probably, but not the ones from Rooftop as he said it didn't load. He would like to see the one about being at the Lady Gaga concert, which is on Rooftop. We had a meeting on short notice just before midday honoring our senior leader for 25 years of service. There was pasta and sauce and salad and bread. Later on there was cake. I liked the spaghetti sauce but the 'White cream' sauce with pepper in it I didn't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment